This Green Chile, Bacon and Cheese Egg Bake is an easy breakfast casserole recipe.
I wonder if the rest of the world takes the time to make a special breakfast on the weekend? We love this green chile and cheese egg bake breakfast casserole at my house for an easy weekend breakfast. It’s a nice diversion from cereal or yogurt or scrambled eggs. And it’s not as heavy as pancakes or waffles.
- two cans of chopped mild green chiles
- shredded cheese
- flour and salt
How to make Green Chile and Cheese Egg Bake:
The first thing you’ll do is combine the canned chiles and cheddar cheese in a bowl. Then you’ll take that mixture and spread it evenly into a 9×13-inch casserole dish. Eggs, milk, flour and salt are then whisked together and poured over the chiles and cheese in the dish. Crumbled, cooked bacon is sprinkled on top. The green chile and cheese egg bake goes into the oven for about 45 minutes. To see if it’s done, you can give the casserole dish a bit of a wiggle. If the egg is still uncooked, you’ll be able to tell. It will wiggle too much!
How to cook bacon in the oven:
This recipe calls for cooked bacon. I always make my bacon in the oven because it’s so easy to do, and there is very little clean-up or mess involved. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Lay the strips of bacon on the foil. Bake until the bacon is browned and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Time in the oven will depend on how thick your bacon is. Let the bacon cool and drain on a paper towel lined plate, and then chop it into smaller pieces.
It’s best to let it cool off for a few minutes so the eggs can set nicely and it will be easier to cut.
Adapting the recipe:
If you don’t need to feed as many people, this recipe can be cut in half. Just halve all of the ingredients, and bake it in an 8×8-inch pan. If you would like to change up the cheeses, try using a jack-cheddar combo or all Monterey Jack.
It’s so delicious! Leftovers are fabulous too. Just refrigerate and then take out a slice to microwave. Enjoy!
Here are a few more breakfast casserole recipes you might like to try:
- Buffet Breakfast Casserole
- Farmer’s Casserole
- Egg- Mushroom Kielbasa Bake
- Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Ham and Cheese Bake
- Cheesy Egg Casserole
- Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Green Chile, Bacon and Cheese Egg Bake
- Two 4-ounce cans green chiles, squeezed dry
- 12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13-inch dish with nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chiles and cheese. Gently spread that into the prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour and salt. Pour over the chiles and cheese. Sprinkle the bacon on top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbling and the eggs are cooked through. Test with a toothpick to come out clean.
- *Try using a combination of cheddar and jack too.
- *If you'd like, you can cut the recipe in half and use an 8x8-inch dish, as pictured.