This Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole recipe is so quick to whip up for a weekend breakfast.
My family always enjoys a weekend breakfast, and this is one that is perfectly easy to make. It’s lined with a thin layer of bread on the bottom before being topped with crumbled sausage, cheese and a flavorful egg mixture. Change things up as you’d like– using different kinds of bread or sausage and cheese. It’s a delicious breakfast casserole, and it’s simple to adjust to your preference of flavors.
- sliced bread
- sausage (like Jimmy Dean)
- cheddar cheese
- half and half
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
How to make an Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post. This recipe can be made and baked right away, or it can be covered and refrigerated overnight as a “make ahead” recipe.
Place bread slices in a single layer in a casserole dish that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Cut the bread slices to fit, as needed.
Brown the sausage in a skillet. Spoon off and discard any of the fat in the pan. Then sprinkle the sausage over the bread. Sprinkle cheese on top of the sausage.
Then prepare the egg custard. It’s a mix of eggs, milk, half and half, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt/pepper and nutmeg. Pour this mixture over the ingredients in the pan. At this point, you can cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
When ready to bake, you want to make sure that the dish is at room temperature. Moving a cold dish to a hot oven can cause the dish to crack. So take the easy sausage breakfast casserole out of the fridge for an hour or so before baking (if it has been refrigerated). Remove plastic wrap and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the egg is baked through.
Technically, this easy sausage breakfast casserole serves 10. But that’s considering that you’re serving some other things like breakfast potatoes or a fruit salad. Otherwise, serve yourself a larger slice and call it a complete meal. Enjoy!
Here are a few more breakfast casserole recipes you might like to try:
- Buffet Breakfast Casserole
- Farmer’s Casserole
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast
- Green Chile, Bacon and Cheese Egg Bake
Easy Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 6 slices bread, trimmed
- 16 ounces sausage (such as Jimmy Dean)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1¼ cups milk
- ¾ cup half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- dash of pepper
- dash of ground nutmeg
- (If cooking now, preheat the oven to 350°F.) Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place the bread in a single layer in the prepared dish (cut pieces to fit).
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium heat; spoon off any accumulated fat. Sprinkle the cooked sausage over the bread. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the sausage and cheese layers.
- You can bake now, or cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature (about ½ hours). Remove the plastic wrap. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. The top should brown up nicely.