Chipotle Glazed Vegetable Kabobs make a terrific summer side dish.
We make these vegetable kabobs all year long where I live. Grilling season is every season in Arizona, and these kabobs are a delicious accompaniment to any sort of grilled meat. Picture a perfectly grilled steak served with these vegetables kabobs served on the side. That’s an awesome sight!
How to make a Chipotle Glaze for Vegetable Kabobs:
The chipotle glaze is made up of sherry wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, salt, pepper and olive oil. All of these ingredients are whirred together in a food processor or strong blender. It turns into a wonderful spicy glaze to be brushed onto the vegetable kabobs.
The kabobs (zucchini, tomato and mushroom) are placed on a pre-heated grill and brushed with the chipotle glaze several times while grilling.
Note about Skewers:
It is best to use metal skewers for these vegetable kabobs, but you can use wood skewers if you don’t have them. Be aware that wood skewers will be placed onto the grill, where they may catch on fire– or at least get a bit toasty or burned. To help avoid this, you can soak wood skewers in water for about 1/2 hour before putting your vegetables on them to grill. This helps keep them safe from the fire.
Here are a few more grilled vegetable recipes you might enjoy:
- Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- Grilled Corn with Queso Fresco
- Green Bean Foil Packets
- Grilled Shiitake Skewers
- Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Perfect Grilled Asparagus
- Grilled Aubergine and Peppers
Chipotle Glazed Vegetable Kabobs
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 whole canned chipotles chiles in adobo sauce (seeds removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large zucchini, ends trimmed
- 18 small white mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 18 large cherry tomatoes, stems removed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
PREPARE THE CHIPOTLE GLAZE:
- In a food processor, combine all glaze ingredients except the oil and pepper. Process until smooth. With the motor running, gradually add the oil through the hole in the lid; the glaze will thicken. Season with pepper and pulse to blend. Adjust the seasoning and pulse again just before using. Use immediately or cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Return to room temperature and whisk to re-blend.
PREPARE THE KABOBS:
- Cut each zucchini crosswise into 9 equally thick slices. Divide the vegetables, alternating them, among 6 metal or wood skewers. Be certain to arrange the flat sides of the zucchini slices and the stems ends of the mushrooms so they will get the maximum exposure to the heat.
GRILLING THE KABOBS:
- Preheat a gas grill to medium-high. When the grill is ready, lightly brush the kebabs with some of the glaze. Lay the kebabs on the rack, cover, and grill, turning every 2 minutes and basting often with the glaze, until it is used up and the vegetables are lightly colored by the grill, 6 to 8 minutes total. Season with salt and pepper and slide the vegetables off the skewers onto plates. Serve hot or warm.
Those look so delicious!
Yum, this looks incredible! I really love that incorporates all the in-season veggies and the glaze definitely enhances the flavor!