It’s finally grilling season, and if you have vegetarian friends or family coming over… these Grilled Cauliflower Steaks are the perfect thing to add to the menu. They also work great as a side dish!
How to Make Grilled Cauliflower Steaks:
To make the “steaks” use a large knife (serrated works well) to slice the cauliflower head into thick slices (about 3/4-inch thick works well). You’ll lose some florets during the slicing, but you can toss those on the grill also!
Drizzle the steaks well with olive oil and season them with a quick spice blend of curry powder, salt, paprika, and five spice powder (optional).
Cauliflower can take a lot of heat so crank up the grill (or if you’re using charcoal use direct heat) and let the cauliflower get some nice char on both sides. Once you get the char going, you can turn the heat down to low on your grill and continue to grill the cauliflower until it’s tender in the middle. The total grilling time will probably be somewhere around 20 minutes.
These steaks are great right off the grill with nothing else, but if you want to kick it up a notch, serve them with a quick yogurt sauce that’s just a mix of plain Greek yogurt, lemon, and diced cucumber. It comes together very easily.
Serve your Grilled Cauliflower Steaks garnished with lemon zest, dried cranberries, fresh cilantro, and a big bowl of yogurt sauce for drizzling or dipping. YUM!
Here are a few more grilling recipes you might like to try:
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Shrimp
- Easy Grilled Sliders
- Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Balsamic- Mango Marinated Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Swordfish with Rosemary
Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- 1 head cauliflower, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder (optional)
Sauce and Toppings:
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice, divided
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Wash cauliflower and use a large knife to slice it into about four large steaks, 3/4-inch to 1 inch thick. If you lose some florets, just toss them on the grill separately!
- Drizzle cauliflower steaks liberally with olive oil. In a small bowl, stir together curry, salt, paprika, and five spice powder. Season steaks with the mix.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the cauliflower steaks and sear for about 5 minutes per side to get nice grill marks and some char. Reduce heat down to low and continue to cook cauliflower until it's tender in the middle, maybe another 10 minutes, flipping occasionally. Be gentle with the steaks to try to keep them as whole as possible.
- Meanwhile, stir together yogurt, lemon juice, cucumber, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the steaks come off the grill, garnish with lemon zest, dried cranberries and fresh cilantro. Serve with yogurt sauce on the side!
- Weight Watchers Points are for 1 steak with toppings and 1/4 cup sauce
so much better than raw cauliflower, I’ve been eating a lot of raw cauliflower and broccoli as part of a diet and find each of them a little tough to swallow sometimes, so any recipe that would add some flavor is much appreciated, and I always love steak, even vegetable steak, so thank you!