Otherwise known as “eggplant”: Grilled Aubergine and Peppers
We almost always grill vegetables when we fire up the grill for chicken or steak. Usually it’s peppers and zucchini for us. And we never seem to remember eggplant. Have you ever grilled eggplant (also known as aubergine)? It happens to be pretty wonderful on the grill.
I have a grilled eggplant salad that’s pretty amazing. And then there are my grilled eggplant, tomato and goat cheese sandwiches. Eggplant is just so wonderfully, smoky on when cooked on the grill. The flavor it adds to recipes is great!
In this recipe, you’ll brush the vegetables with olive oil and garlic, and then sprinkle some herbs on top too: basil, thyme, oregano, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
Then you’ll put the veggies on a hot grill until some char marks appear and the eggplant shrivels a bit on the edges.
They are perfectly grilled and simple. These Grilled Aubergine and Peppers are a totally nice accompaniment to your main dish!
Here are a few more recipes featuring eggplant that you might like to try:
- Marinated Eggplant with Capers and Mint
- Grilled Eggplant, Tomato and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
- Roasted Eggplant with Chiles, Peanuts and Mint
- Quinoa Stuffed Eggplant
- Grilled Eggplant Salad with Feta and Pine Nuts
- Eggplant Rolatini
- Slow Cooker Eggplant Parmesan
- Beef and Eggplant Casserole
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Grilled Aubergine and Peppers
- 2 medium aubergines (eggplants), cut into ½-inch slices
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into long slices lengthwise
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the grill to hot. In a small bowl, combine the garlic and olive oil. In a separate bowl, combine the basil, thyme, oregano, paprika and red pepper flakes.
- Lay out slices of eggplant and peppers on a large cutting board. Brush one side with the oil mixture. Sprinkle with the herb mixture. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Grill the vegetables until edges are charred and tender, turning once during grilling to cook both sides (3 to 5 minutes per side). Use a flat grill rack if you’re worried about the vegetables sticking to the grill or falling through the rack and into the fire. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- If making these for a party, grill them ahead of time and wrap them in foil until ready to serve. They’re still great served at room temperature.