This delicious recipe for Grilled Eggplant Open Faced Sandwiches is a favorite for when you’re craving something a little different.
Regular sandwiches get rather boring, don’t you think? Open faced sandwiches are fun and unique. We like to make them for dinner once in a while just to change things up. This sandwich is delicious with smoky grilled eggplant. It’s definitely not the kind of sandwich you see every day, and that’s why we love it!
- fresh basil
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil
- French bread
- goat cheese
- salt and pepper
How to make Grilled Eggplant Open Faced Sandwiches:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
This recipe makes about 6 servings (or however much you can get out the bread and the toppings).
And you know what really puts it over the top? Add a drizzle of balsamic glaze. You’ll thank me later. Enjoy!
Favorite Eggplant Recipes:
- Beef and Eggplant Casserole
- Eggplant Rolatini
- Vegetarian Stuffed Eggplant
- Roasted Eggplant with Chiles, Peanuts and Mint
- Grilled Eggplant Salad with Feta and Pine Nuts
Grilled Eggplant Open Faced Sandwiches
- ½ cups chopped, seeded fresh tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 small eggplant, cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick slices
- olive oil
- Six 1-inch thick slices French bread
- 9 ounces soft mild goat cheese (or honey goat cheese)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh basil and red wine vinegar. Season the mixture to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (or preheat broiler). Brush 6 eggplant slices lightly with olive oil (reserve the remaining eggplant for another use). Brush the bread lightly with olive oil. Grill the eggplant and bread until golden, about 4 minutes per side for eggplant and 2 minutes per side for bread.
- Arrange the bread slices on plates. Spread the goat cheese on top, dividing evenly. Top with the eggplant slices and season with salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, mound the tomato mixture on the eggplant, spread to cover and serve.