This flavorful, delicious Grilled Eggplant Salad has a wonderful feta-garlic dressing and a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts.
I spotted this grilled eggplant salad recipe in a Fine Cooking magazine several years ago. I pulled it from the magazine because it looked like unique kind of salad to try. I’m so glad I did because we have loved this salad ever since. Much like my grilled watermelon salad recipe, the eggplant takes on a bit of a smoky flavor from the grill. And the dressing is Greek-style and yummy on top!
- romaine lettuce
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- plain yogurt
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ground cumin
- fresh parsley
- crumbled feta cheese
- toasted pine nuts
How to make Grilled Eggplant Salad:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining oil with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Top with a sprinkle of feta and pine nuts. That’s it!
How to toast pine nuts:
To quickly toast the pine nuts, just put them in a small fry pan over medium heat. Watch them closely, and use a wooden spoon to move them around until they are lightly toasted. Be careful- they’ll burn if you don’t tend to them! Pour them onto a paper towel to cool before adding them to your salad. I like to buy pine nuts at Costco. They’re less expensive there, and you can keep the big bag in the freezer and use them as needed.
This is one delicious salad to try when you’re ready to take on something new. Enjoy!
The Best Eggplant Recipes:
- Beef and Eggplant Casserole
- Roasted Eggplant with Chiles, Peanuts and Mint
- Greek-Style Eggplant
- Eggplant Rolatini
- Marinated Eggplant with Capers and Mint
Grilled Eggplant Salad with Feta and Pine Nuts
- 4 large hearts of romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 large (about 1¼ pounds) eggplant, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup tightly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the eggplant slices with 3 tablespoons of oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons of oil with yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Grill the eggplant slices until softened and browned on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Divide the lettuce on four plates. Lay the eggplant on top and drizzle with the dressing. Top with a sprinkle of feta and pine nuts.