This Grilled Watermelon Salad is the perfect way to use up some fresh, summer watermelon. The simple combination of lightly-grilled watermelon, goat cheese, greens and balsamic works well.
The summer season demands that you eat watermelon. Nibbling chilly watermelon slices saturated with sweetness seems indulgent as you devour slice after slice on a heat-drenched summer day. Its juicy nature and bright color make it a natural superstar at an outdoor barbecue. But have you ever thrown it on the grill to create a grilled watermelon salad? Watermelon caramelizes ever so slightly when it’s briefly grilled, and it takes on a slightly smoky flavor like my grilled eggplant salad.
- seedless watermelon wedges
- olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- crumbled feta or goat cheese
How to make Grilled Watermelon Salad:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Preheat your grill to medium-heat. Brush watermelon wedges with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the watermelon 1 to 2 minutes on each side. It’s helpful to lay the watermelon wedges on a baking sheet so it’s easy to transfer them to and from the grill. Or you can use these grilling prep and serve trays that I absolutely love for grilling!
In a medium bowl, toss the arugula with vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
To assemble, sprinkle each grilled watermelon slice with crumbled feta or goat cheese. Top with the balsamic-dressed greens.
Add a little more cheese on top, if you’d like. Enjoy!
Grilled watermelon is the best discovery. And the pairing of watermelon with feta cheese is awesome (try my watermelon, feta and arugula salad too!) This grilled watermelon salad makes for a pretty presentation and it’s an impressive salad to serve to guests.
Amaze your friends and family by grilling up some watermelon. It’s easier than you might think.
Comments from readers:
- “YUM! My husband and I did this last night and it was so easy and soooo tasty! Thanks!”
- “Fantastic dish!! Even my four year old absolutely loved it!”
The Best Watermelon Salad Recipes:
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad
- Watermelon Caprese
- Strawberry Melon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette
- Fruit Salad with Lime Syrup
- Watermelon Strawberry Caprese Salad
Grilled Watermelon Salad
- One small 5-pound seedless watermelon, cut into eight 1-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 cups arugula (washed and dried)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
- Pre-heat your grill to medium.
- Brush the watermelon with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill the watermelon wedges for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- In a medium bowl, toss the greens with the vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- To assemble the salads, sprinkle each grilled watermelon wedge with feta or goat cheese. Top with the greens. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top, if you'd like.