Summer must not end because I want to make this Watermelon Feta Arugula Salad all year long.
I had quite the indulgent summer. I ate chips and deli sandwiches, I consumed a lot of ice cream and wine, and I gobbled up cheese like it was soon-to-be-rationed. All of that, of course, means I’m paying for it now. Unfortunately, I’m currently avoiding all of the aforementioned stuff like the plague in order to get some of those indulgent pounds off.
Fall is looming ahead, and since jeans and boots are my everyday wear in chilly weather, it’s time I fit into those jeans again! So, I’m eating stuff like this watermelon feta arugula salad which is totally fine because this this salad makes me very happy.
Watermelon Feta Arugula Salad:
Baby arugula is the green of choice in this salad. I personally love the slightly peppery flavor of arugula, but if you’re a hater then you can totally substitute mixed greens. Watermelon is the best with its natural sweetness. And when you pair it with salty feta cheese, it’s even better.
How to Pick a Ripe Watermelon
- Pick it up and pat the belly of the melon. A ripe melon will produce a deep, hollow sound. Under-ripe melons will sound more like a dull thud. The surface of the melon should be hard and firm.
- Watermelons develop a yellow spot at the place they rested on the ground while growing. When they are ripe and ready to eat, the spot will turn a a brighter yellow. The brighter the spot, the longer the melon stayed on the vine sweetening up.
Toasted pine nuts and a simple vinaigrette finish off the salad. It’s perfect for bringing to end-of-the-summer barbecues because it’s so easy to make, and it’s one that everyone will love. You might be surprised how many people will ask you for the recipe.
How to toast pine nuts:
To toast the pine nuts, heat a skillet to medium. Add the pine nuts to the pan and stir often until they begin to turn golden. Remove the pine nuts to a bowl or a paper towel to cool.
Make this salad this summer, and you’ll want to make it again and again. It’s so good. Enjoy!
Here are a few more watermelon salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Strawberry Melon Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette
- Watermelon Salad with Sweet and Spicy Vinaigrette
- Grilled Watermelon Salad
- Blueberry Watermelon Feta Mint Salad
- Watermelon Avocado Salad
Watermelon, Feta and Arugula Salad
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces baby arugula (6 handfuls)
- 3 cups seedless watermelon chunks
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (see Recipe Notes below)
PREPARE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil slowly. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
ASSEMBLE THE SALAD:
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula with the watermelon. Add the vinaigrette (as much as you'd like, to taste), and toss. Sprinkle in the feta cheese and pine nuts and gently toss again. Serve immediately.
- *To toast the pine nuts, heat a skillet to medium. Add the pine nuts to the pan and stir often until they begin to turn golden. Remove the pine nuts to a bowl or a paper towel to cool.
- Goat cheese may be substituted for feta. Mixed greens may be substituted for the arugula.