This Chipotle Lime Crab Dip includes tangy lime, fiery chipotle, creamy avocado, and crunchy vegetables. Baked chips are used for dunking, making this an appetizer that’s a bit more healthy.
Football season is pretty much in full swing now, right? Regular season games begin tomorrow and whether you’re a football fan or not, it’s a good excuse to make some really great munchies on a Sunday! I always just sort of have football on in the background while I’m cooking on Sundays. It feels festive, and I like to make good football game munchies!
For the record, my family is a bunch of New England Patriots fans. We’re east coasters at heart, and we’ve loved them for years. (Regardless of all of the controversy!)
How to make Chipotle Lime Crab Dip:
This recipe originally comes from Cooking Light. Corn tortillas are sliced into pieces and they are baked at the same time as the dip. This makes for lighter tortilla chips since they’re not deep fried. Crab with Parmesan cheese and plenty of finely chopped vegetables are combined with a small amount of mayonnaise, chipotle chile and lime. That mixture is baked to create this wonderful, warm Chipotle Lime Crab Dip.
After baking, chopped avocado is sprinkled on top of the dip. You can leave it off, if you’d like. But I really like the freshness that it brings to the dip.
Crab and Parmesan are such a good pairing. And the lime and chipotle both add a lot of flavor to the dip too.
This dip is actually Weight Watchers friendly. Thought was put in to creating this on a lighter spectrum, so it’s not the decadent sort of dip you might be used to eating. If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you will find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below. One serving can be considered as three chips dunked into the dip and enjoyed.
Here are a few more recipes using crab that you might like to try:
- Crab Guacamole
- Corn and Crab Chowder
- Crab and Cream Cheese Wontons
- The Best Crab Melt
- Low Fat Baked Crab Cakes
- Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Hot Artichoke and Crab Dip
- Crab Spread
Chipotle Lime Crab Dip
- 6 corn tortillas
- ½ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled jicama (or sub water chestnuts)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- Use a pizza cutter to cut each tortilla into 8 wedges. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a pie plate with cooking spray. Arrange tortilla pieces in a single layer on a large baking sheet and set aside for now.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, juice and chile, stirring with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, combine the crab, cheese, jicama, green onions, bell pepper, cilantro and celery in a medium bowl. Add the mayo mixture, stirring until well combined. Spoon into the prepared pie plate.
- On the upper rack, place the pie plate and on a lower rack place the baking sheet with the tortilla chips. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Pull out the chips when they're nice and crispy (about 10 minutes). The dip may need a little bit longer time to get fully heated. Sprinkle avocado on top of the heated dip and serve with the baked chips for dipping.
- WW Points are counted as a serving of three chips with dunks into the dip.
Looks absolutely fabulous. I love the flavor combination! Thanks for sharing my crab rangoon egg rolls!
Yum, this looks great!