This simple Crab Spread recipe is a simple and delicious appetizer to whip up and serve when you don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
I started making this appetizer way back in college. I’m pretty sure it’s a recipe my sister gave to me. Easy appetizers for entertaining have always been a draw for me. This Crab Spread requires no cooking at all. It’ll be prepared in minutes. And you can prepare it hours ahead of your party too. Just keep it refrigerated and take it out when you’re ready to serve it.
How to make Crab Spread:
The first layer of this spread is a simple mix of cream cheese, grated onion, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise and lemon. Don’t skip the Worcestershire because it will add a good amount of flavor to this crab spread. Next you’ll drizzle some chili sauce on top and spread it to cover the cream cheese layer. Chili sauce is not spicy. It’s a sweet sauce found near the ketchup. In fact, most of the time I just buy the Heinz chili sauce brand (like the ketchup!) Finally, you’ll sprinkle crab on top. Use canned crab- it won’t matter! Canned crab is perfectly fine, and it works great for this Crab Spread appetizer.
I like to slice up cucumber to serve with Crab Spread. People who are eating low carb at your party will appreciate that! You can also put out some crackers. Crab spread is good on everything!
Here are a few more recipes featuring crab that you might like to try:
- Crab and Cream Cheese Stuffed Snow Peas
- Knock-Your-Socks-Off Warm Crab Dip
- Corn and Crab Chowder
- Creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Crab Guacamole
- Crab and Cream Cheese Wontons
- Light Crab Salad
- Low Fat Baked Crab Cakes
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ small sweet onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (low fat is fine)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 ounces chili sauce
- One 6-ounce can crabmeat, drained and flaked apart
- freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cream cheese, onion, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Spread on a serving platter. Spread the chili sauce on top of the cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle the crabmeat on top of the chili sauce. Sprinkle fresh parsley over the top.
- Refrigerate for several hours. Serve with crackers and/or cucumber slices.
- If preparing this recipe as gluten free, just be sure to use brands of mayonnaise and chili sauce that are designated as GF.