This Corn and Crab Chowder is a simple, creamy soup recipe with no heavy cream added. This is a creamy and delicious soup with chunks of crabmeat and corn swirled within.
This creamy soup is made so with the addition of a little bit of 2% milk and corn that has been been blended in the food processor to help with the thickening to create a chowder. It’s a heck of a lot lighter than your typical chowder recipe, which would definitely add in heavy cream or at least half and half.
It’s made super easy using frozen corn and some fresh lump crab meat. Fresh ginger adds in another delicious element of flavor to this soup.
I love adding oyster crackers to my chowder, but that’s certainly optional. I’ve included Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints in the recipe information below. Each serving (4 servings total) will count as 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints. The oyster crackers should be counted as extra points.
Corn and Crab Chowder
All kinds of delicious goodies are in this soup!
- 16 ounces frozen white corn (don't thaw), divided
- 1 cup 2% low fat milk
- 8 ounces clam juice
- 4 tablespoons sliced green onions, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces cooked crabmeat, flaked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- oyster crackers, for garnish (optional)
- Set 1/4 cup corn aside. In a medium saucepan, bring the rest of the corn and the milk to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Puree the corn mixture in the blender. Add the clam juice, 3 tablespoons green onions, and 1 teaspoon ginger; puree again until almost smooth. Return puree to saucepan; bring to simmer. Mix in 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add reserved 1/4 cup corn; sauté 1 minute. Add crab, 1 tablespoon green onions, 1 teaspoon ginger, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice; stir just until warm. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide the soup among 4 bowls; mound the crab mixture in the center of each bowl.
- *WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS PER SERVING (4 servings): 4
- *Garnish with oyster crackers (not included in nutritional information)
- *If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use clam juice that is known to be free of gluten.
Note: This recipe was originally published in 2006. It was edited and re-published in 2018.