This Chilled Zucchini with Shrimp is a nice appetizer or soup for a gourmet dinner party.
If you have a bounty of zucchini this summer, you might like to try this very different kind of soup recipe. It’s chilled- served cold! And it’s garnished with the most delicious marinated shrimp.
I was part of a neighborhood gourmet dinner group for many years. This is one of the recipes we served at one of those gourmet dinners. You can serve this as a main dish if you’d like, but we chose to serve it as a starter in appetizer portions at our party.
The chilled zucchini soup is pureed in a blender or food processor. It’s a very simple blend of sauteed onion, garlic and zucchini blended together with chicken broth and a little bit of cilantro. The soup is delicious all by itself, if you’re just looking for an easy chilled zucchini soup. But it’s made so much better by the accompaniments.
Cooked shrimp is chilled in a lemony marinade and divided among the bowls of soup. Leaving the tails on makes it easy to position them on the edges of the bowls.. A quick blend of sour cream, cilantro and garlic is spooned into the chilled soup portions too.
And there is the beautiful result! This isn’t a soup recipe that I make often, but it’s the perfect summer gourmet soup for a special occasion. Everyone loved this soup at our dinner party.
Chilled Zucchini Soup with Shrimp
This summer soup recipe is served with lemon cumin shrimp and cilantro cream!
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound shrimp (keep tails on), peeled and cooked
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium (1 3/4 pounds) zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 cups reduced sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
PREPARE CILANTRO CREAM:
In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream, cilantro, and garlic to blend. Season with salt and pepper. (can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill)
PREPARE THE SHRIMP:
Combine shrimp and marinade ingredients in a medium bowl; cover and chill for at least 4 hours- or overnight (can be made 1 day ahead; keep chilled)
PREPARE THE SOUP:
Heat the oil in large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the onion; sauté until tender, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic; stir 1 minute. Add the zucchini; stir to coat. Stir in the broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Cool to lukewarm. Add the chopped cilantro. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth.
Transfer the soup to a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until cold, about 4 hours. (can be made 1 day ahead; keep chilled)
Divide the soup among bowls- 6 is you're serving as an appetizer and 4 for a main dish. Top each with shrimp, dividing equally. Spoon dollop of cilantro cream over each, garnishing with cilantro sprigs. Serve immediately.
- *WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER APPETIZER SERVING (6 servings): Freestyle SmartPoints: 3, Points Plus: 6, Old Points Program: 6
- *If preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is designated as GF.