This Grilled Flank Steak has nice rosemary marinade for the meat.
Flank steak is an easy one to buy and marinate. If given enough time, flank steak absorbs marinade nicely. I like to poke it with a meat tenderizer (I have the OXO brand meat tenderizer, and it works great), and that gives the meat a chance to soak up the marinade in all the right places.
How to make Rosemary Marinade for Flank Steak:
This is a simple mix, and it’s such a delicious marinade to use for Grilled Flank Steak. You’ll need the following ingredients to make the rosemary marinade:
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- fresh rosemary
The marinade ingredients are combined and whisked together.
The rosemary marinade is then placed into a large zip baggie with the flank steak. It’s good to give the steak a chance to marinate for at least a couple of hours in the refrigerator, and it’s even better if you can give it several hours! TIP: don’t try to marinate a frozen steak. Make sure your steak is fully defrosted before marinating.
Secrets for Grilling Steak:
Make sure your grill is hot. With a cut like flank steak, it’s best to sear it on the hottest part of the grill for a couple minutes on both sides… then move it off indirect heat and continue to grill until cooked to your desired temperature. A medium-rare steak will take about 12 minutes total to cook on the grill. An instant read meat thermometer should read 130 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the steak.
Be sure to let your steak rest for 5 minutes after taking it the grill before cutting into it. Cut the steak too soon, and the juices in the steak will spill onto your cutting board instead of staying inside the steak.
Here are a few more recipes using rosemary that you might like to try:
- Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Roasted Shrimp with Rosemary and Thyme
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Rosemary and Blue Cheese
- Grilled Swordfish with Rosemary
- Orange Rosemary Roast Chicken
- Rosemary Lemon Chicken Skewers
- Garlic Rosemary Prime Rib Roast
- Rosemary and Garlic Leg of Lamb Roast
Grilled Flank Steak with Rosemary Marinade
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4½ tablespoons honey
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons Kosher salt
- 2½ pounds flank steak
- In a large zip baggie, combine the soy sauce, olive oil, honey, garlic, rosemary, pepper and salt. Add the steak to the bag and turn to coat. Marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for 2 to 10 hours, turning occasionally. Drain the marinade from the bag when ready to grill. Let the steak sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Grill the steak 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, or to the desired degree of doneness. Remove the steak to a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Cut the steak across the grain into thin strips.
- *If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use a brand of soy sauce that is known to be GF.