Here’s a delicious recipe to try on the grill this summer: Rosemary Lemon Chicken Skewers
Since my family loves chicken so much, we tend to grill it all summer long. That means I have to come up with some different ways to serve it, or we’ll all be bored to death of chicken come September! It helps to have some different marinade recipes on hand. I hate buying the already prepared marinades in the store since it’s so easy and so much more delicious to make your own! I love this recipe for Rosemary Lemon Chicken Skewers because it’s so very simple, yet it packs a flavorful punch.
This recipe comes from a new cookbook by Kelsey Banfield (from The Naptime Chef blog): The Family Calendar Cookbook: From Birthdays to Bake Sales, Good Food to Carry You Through the Year. If I were ever to write another cookbook, this is the sort of cookbook I would write. I love that it’s organized by seasons, and there are quite a few menus shared within each seasonal chapter. For example, here is the Father’s Day Menu (an all-day celebration!): Spicy Chorizo Breakfast Wraps, Bloody Marys, Dad Burgers, Wedge Salad, Sour Cream & Chive Potato Skins and Guinness Bundt Cake. There is a whole menu of “Back to School Weeknight Meals” in the fall chapter (21 recipes!) There are no actual photos in the book (just illustrations), but I know I’m going to be reaching for this one an awful lot. So many family-friendly recipes are shared.
These chicken skewers are lightly marinated and then placed on a hot grill. The author of the book has you marinate the skewers already prepared, but I prefer to marinate the chicken by itself and string the chicken on right before grilling.
And there they are all grilled and ready for serving! When you grill the lemons along with the chicken, the softened-up grilled lemons are wonderful for squeezing onto the chicken right before you eat it. Add some grilled vegetables to this main dish, and you’ll have yourself a delicious and light meal that is perfect for summer!
Rosemary Lemon Chicken Skewers
Prep Time:15 minutes + marinating time
Cook Time:8 minutes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- grated zest and juice of 3 medium-sized lemons
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 (4-inch) rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
- Place the chicken cubes in a large zip bag. Add lemon zest and juice, garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper to the bag. Turn the bag a few times to mix the marinade and work it into the chicken. Marinate the chicken in the bag for at least 4 hours, or overnight (keep refrigerated).
- Drain marinade from chicken, then string chicken onto skewers- adding in a couple of lemon wedges to each skewer.
- Bring the grill to medium heat and cook the skewers directly over the heat for 6 to 8 minutes, rotating the skewers as you go to ensure even cooking. Once the chicken is cooked through, transfer it to a platter and allow to cool before serving. Use the grilled lemon wedges to squeeze onto individual servings.