Here’s a Lemon Chicken Rice Soup recipe that is just like the Greek Lemon Chicken Rice Soup you order in a good Greek restaurant.
I don’t go out for fast food all that often, but Greek food is a big-time draw when I do. Gyros, garlic dip and Lemon Chicken Rice Soup are my favorites. This soup is such a great copycat from my favorite Greek restaurant.
The texture of this soup is thick and creamy, though it’s completely low fat. Added chicken and rice make this soup filling and satisfying. And the lemon gives it a satisfying tangy flavor.
How to Make Lemon Chicken Rice Soup:
It’s really pretty easy to make. Chicken broth, bouillon, rice, carrots, celery and onion are simmered together, and then the chicken is added in after those are cooked.
Next you’ll make the creamy lemon mixture. Butter and flour are combined in a saucepan. Broth is whisked in too. Separately, you’ll beat the eggs in a bowl and beat in lemon juice too. Next, you’ll very gradually whisk in 2 cups of the hot broth mixture. Finally, you’ll combine everything together.
Garnish the soup however you’d like. I think it’s nice to garnish each bowl with a lemon slice and a sprinkle of sliced green onions. Enjoy!
If this recipe has you craving more Greek recipes, you might wish to try my Pastitsio recipe. It’s a gorgeous, Greek-style lasagna. This Greek Spinach Pie happens to be a very popular recipe. I’ve always wanted to make this Greek Roasted Chicken too.
Lemon Chicken Rice Soup
- 7 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/3 cup diced carrots
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1½ cups cooked chicken breast chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon slices for garnish
- sliced green onions for garnish
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, bouillon, rice, carrots, celery and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice and vegetables are tender. Stir in the chicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Gradually whisk in 2 cups of the broth; cook until slightly thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in lemon juice and 2 cups of the thickened broth mixture. Slowly add the egg mixture to the rest of the broth mixture in the large saucepan, stirring constantly. Heat gently until the soup thickens enough to coat a spoon, stirring frequently (do not boil). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into soup bowls and garnish each with a lemon slice and a sprinkle of green onions.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, please make sure that you are using brands of the following ingredients that are known to be GF: chicken broth and bouillon. Also sub GF flour or an alternative thickener for the all-purpose flour.