Enjoy your favorite Italian pasta dish in soup form with this creamy cheesy Lasagna Soup! Comfort food never looked or tasted so good.
I’m the type of person who likes some noodles with my marinara sauce. Seriously, the more red sauce, the better! And that is why this Lasagna Soup is so amazing. I would go as far to say that it is even better than traditional lasagna and I bet you’ll think so too.
Italian food is seriously from heaven. You just can’t help but feel all cozy and warm when eating it, let alone smelling it. If you want comfort, the answer is a bowl of Pasta con Broccoli, a serving of Manicotti, or cup of this Lasagna Soup.
Traditionally, lasagna calls for ground beef but I decided to go with sweet Italian sausage for more flavor. You can totally swap it out for beef if that’s what you like or have on hand.
Anyway, first you cook the onion and meat until browned. Drain off the fat, add in the seasonings, tomato paste, tomatoes, and beef broth. Simmer it for 20 minutes so that the sausage (or beef) gets nice and tender.
Simmering a meat sauce or chili is a necessity if you want to have a nice and tender meat. The last thing someone wants is a tough rubbery bite of meat in their soup. Am I right?
After simmering, add the broken up lasagna noodles and cook until just barely al dente. You don’t want to cook it longer, especially if you plan on having leftovers. Why? Normally when you cook noodles, you drain off the hot water to stop it from cooking further but in soup all you can do is turn off the burner. The noodles are still in the hot liquid for longer so they’ll continue to soften.
The last thing to add is whipping cream and then you’re ready to serve. Ladle it into bowls and then stir in a small handful of mozzarella cheese so that it melts. Top the bowls with a spoonful of ricotta cheese and some fresh basil.
Mmmm! Oh man is that cheesy, tomato, sausage, noodle goodness good! I could eat Italian food everyday of my life. LOVE it!
Not only does this taste better than regular lasagna, it’s also a bit healthier! It’s lower in carbs and has less cheese which means less calories/fat. Wahoo! Lightened up comfort food for the win! Enjoy!
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:50 minutes
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage (or ground beef)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups beef broth
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles, broken in pieces
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half cream
For the Toppings:
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Place sausage and onions in a large pot, break up with a spoon, and cook until sausage is browned. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds and then drain off fat.
- Add the tomato paste and Italian seasoning cooking 2 more minutes while stirring. Add in the tomatoes and broth. Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the noodles and cook at a low boil uncovered for 10 to 12 minutes until al dente (not any longer because the noodles will continue to soften). Stir in the cream.
- Ladle soup into bowls, stir in a little mozzarella cheese, top with ricotta cheese and fresh basil and serve.