I’ve been making this Avocado Pine Nut Salad for YEARS. First discovered at my sister’s house eons ago while plowing through her loads of community cookbooks, this has since become a classic family favorite.
It’s a simple salad with a short list of ingredients. The dressing is tangy and and delicious!
Need a great salad for a potluck? This is it. Need a salad that most people will eat? I’ve got you covered. Need a new side salad for dinner because you’re tired of the same old thing? This is the one.
It’s simple, and it’s darn good. Many in my extended family and network of friends have now incorporated this salad into their meal rotations. It’s that good! Add grilled chicken to make this a main dish salad.
This has been my family’s favorite salad recipe for years and years. Every family gathering we have, this salad makes an appearance! And every event you bring it to, everyone will ask you for the recipe!
Tip: to quickly toast the pine nuts, just put them in a small fry pan over medium heat. Watch them closely, and use a wooden spoon to move them around until they are lightly toasted. Be careful- they’ll burn if you don’t tend to them! Pour them onto a paper towel to cool before adding them to your salad.
Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Avocado Pine Nut Salad
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
- 1 head green leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, chopped
- 1 large avocado, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place dressing ingredients in shaker jar. Shake well (or whisk in a bowl) and refrigerate until chilled.
- Add salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss with the chilled dressing (add a little at a time until you have used a desired amount).
- Serve immediately.
- An easy way to roast raw pine nuts is to dry roast them in a heated saucepan, stirring often so that they do not burn (they burn easily if not watched).
- Grill some chicken and marinate it in the salad dressing for a great summer, main-dish salad!
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: 1/8th of the salad) Calories: 179, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Sugar: 1g, Fiber: 6.25g, Protein: 5g, Cholesterol: 2.5mg, Carbohydrates: 12g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 4, Points Plus Program: 5, Old Points Program: 5.5
Here are a few more salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Favorite Baby Arugula Salad by Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Apple Bacon Salad by Recipe Girl
- Garlicky Orange Kale Salad by She Wears Many Hats
- Southwest Salad with Avocado Dressing by Recipe Girl