Another delicious soup recipe: Wild Rice Soup
Wild Rice Soup
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:25 minutes
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup diced ham
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
- 3 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup finely sliced celery
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry or dry white wine
- fresh parsley or chives for garnish
- Melt butter in large skillet. Sauté onion until softened, and then whisk in flour. Gradually stir in broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until it comes to a boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in rice, ham, carrots, mushrooms, celery, almonds, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer until all ingredients are tender. Whisk in half & half and sherry. Heat to desired serving temperature and serve with parsley as garnish.
- This recipe freezes well.