This Wild Rice Mushroom and Sausage Soup is a hearty, filling, delicious soup recipe.
One of my favorite soup recipes to make in the winter, this soup is packed with things that will fill you up! The wild rice makes it a little healthier than the typical white rice based soup. Turkey or chicken sausage in the soup allows it to become a main-dish soup. And mushroom lovers will be very happy with this soup too since there are plenty of mushrooms added in.
What ingredients are needed to make Wild Rice Mushroom and Sausage Soup?
This soup recipe is simple to assemble, and it has a short list of ingredients. All of the ingredients are easy to find at the store.
- chicken broth
- wild rice
- olive oil
- turkey or chicken sausage
- heavy cream
A couple things to note about this soup recipe:
As far as the turkey or chicken sausage this soup calls for, look for kielbasa. There are a few different kinds of turkey or chicken kielbasa, and you can choose the variety that sounds best to you. You should be able to find kielbasa near the bacon or ham in your local market. It’s pre-cooked, so all you need to do is slice it up and add it to this soup.
There is heavy cream added to the Wild Rice Mushroom and Sausage Soup, but that doesn’t make it super decadent or anything. It’s only 1/2 cup of cream that’s added in, and if you wanted to lighten things up… you could use half and half or evaporated milk in its place.
It’s perfectly okay to make this soup ahead and enjoy it later. In fact, leftovers the next day are quite delicious! The recipe only makes four servings, so the leftovers definitely won’t last very long. Your co-workers might be eye-balling you with envy when you bring leftovers of this Wild Rice Mushroom and Sausage Soup for lunch. Let them stare… and then share the recipe!
I hope this becomes one of your favorite winter soup recipes too. Try it out on your family or houseguests, and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
- Tomato Florentine Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Broccoli Potato Soup
- Asian Chicken Rice Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Wonton Soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Ham and Lentil Soup
Wild Rice, Mushroom and Sausage Soup
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces smoked turkey or chicken sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 2 cups (4 ounces) sliced cremini or white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the broth and wild rice, cover partially and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, celery and mushrooms and cook until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked wild rice and its broth to the sausage and vegetables and simmer, uncovered, until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.