This Tomato Florentine Soup is a wonderfully, rich-flavored tomato soup with some delicious additions.
Tomato Florentine Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes + their juice
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach, rinsed & stems removed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, warm oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in spices and then wine. Add broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered, until macaroni is tender, about 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in vinegar.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- To prepare this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use a brand of broth that is designated as GF, and sub GF pasta for regular pasta (or leave it out).
- If you are preparing this recipe as DAIRY FREE, leave off the Parmesan cheese.
- Nutritional Information per serving: (Serving size: Soup divided into 4 equal servings- does not include cheese) Calories: 218, Fat: 5.5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sugar: 2g, Fiber: 6g, Protein: 10g, Cholesterol: .5mg, Carbohydrates: 33g
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: SmartPoints: 4, Points Plus Program: 5 Old Points Program: 5.5