Here’s one the whole family can enjoy: Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 4 corn tortillas
- nonstick spray
- salt to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice (see *Tips below)
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- One 4-ounce can chopped mild green chiles, squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled or roasted and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 large avocado, sliced
- 1/2 large fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut tortillas into 1/2 x 3-inch strips, spray them lightly with nonstick spray and sprinkle them with salt. Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until light brown and crisp- 5 to 7 minutes. Let stand until cool.
- Combine the broth, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce and carrot in a large saucepan and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green chilies, onion, cilantro, basil, garlic, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Simmer for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Add chicken, tortilla strips and cheese to each bowl. Top each serving with sliced avocado and chopped fresh tomato. Drizzle with lime juice.
- If you are preparing this soup as gluten-free, just be sure to use brands of corn tortillas and chicken broth that are known to be GF.
- If you are preparing this soup as dairy-free, leave off the cheese.
- If you don't wish to buy a large container of tomato juice, you can purchase a 6-pack of the small 5.5-ounce cans of tomato juice. Use three of those to make 2 cups. Then you'll have 3 leftover cans to use in another recipe.