This Chicken Tortilla Soup is a soup that the whole family can enjoy.
This is a great, tomato-based chicken tortilla soup recipe. The tomato base is delicious and wonderful on its own. But then you get to garnish it with chicken, tortilla strips, cheese, avocado, fresh tomato and lime. There are all kinds of amazing flavors going on all in one soup.
- chicken broth
- tomato juice
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- canned mild green chiles
- red onion, cilantro, basil, garlic
- chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder
- cooked chicken breast
- Monterey Jack cheese
- fresh tomato
- lime wedges
How to toast tortillas:
Cut corn tortillas into strips. Spray the tortilla strips with nonstick spray and sprinkle with salt. Bake at 375 degrees F. until crisp.
How to make Chicken Tortilla Soup:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Ladle the soup into bowls. Add the chicken, tortilla strips and cheese to each bowl. Top each with sliced avocado and chopped fresh tomato. Maybe even add a few more crumbles of cheese.
Served the chicken tortilla soup with lime wedges for squeezing. The lime adds a delicious, tangy flavor to the soup. Enjoy!
Here are a few more soup recipes you might like to try:
- Tuscan Vegetable Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Sausage Soup
- Broccoli, Cauliflower and Cheese Soup
- Easy French Onion Soup
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 corn tortillas
- nonstick spray
- salt, to taste
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice (see *Recipe Notes below)
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- One 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies, squeezed dry
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 medium-sized boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled or roasted and thinly sliced
- 12 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ large avocado, sliced
- ½ large fresh tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the tortillas into ½ x 3-inch strips, spray them lightly with nonstick spray and sprinkle with salt. Arrange the tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake until light brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Let stand until cool.
- Combine the broth, tomato juice, tomatoes, tomato sauce and carrot in a large saucepan and mix well. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in green chilies, onion, cilantro, basil, garlic, chili powder, cumin and garlic powder. Simmer for 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Add the chicken, tortilla strips and cheese to each bowl. Top each with sliced avocado and chopped fresh tomato. Drizzle with lime juice.
- If you are preparing this soup as gluten-free, be sure to use brands of corn tortillas and chicken broth that are known to be GF.
- If you are preparing this soup as dairy-free, leave off the cheese.
- If you don't wish to buy a large container of tomato juice, you can purchase a 6-pack of the small 5.5-ounce cans of tomato juice. Use three of those to make 2 cups. Then you'll have 3 leftover cans to use in another recipe.