This slow cooker Ham and Lentil Soup is a wonderful surprise… it’s easy, it’s light and it’s filling. I find that I like having it around to eat a nice warm cup of it for lunch.
Ham and Lentil Soup
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:4 hours
- 3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 6 ounces cooked ham, diced finely (or use a ham shoulder and shred after cooking)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- shredded Parmesan cheese to top, optional
- In a 4 to 5 quart slow cooker, combine broth, water, onion, celery, carrots, lentils, ham and thyme. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in spinach. Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese, if using.
- If you're preparing this recipe as Dairy Free, leave out the Parmesan cheese.
- If you're preparing this recipe as Gluten-Free, make sure the ham that you use does not have any added gluten, and be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is designated as GF.
- I asked for a piece of ham in my meat Dept, and my butcher had some ham shoulders that he said were wonderful to use for soup. I trimmed it of as much fat as I could and then cooked up the shoulder in my soup. Once cooked, I removed it and took out the leaner pieces of shredded ham and added it back into the soup- really good!
- Nutritional Information per serving (serving size: Recipe divided into 6 equal portions- excluding Parmesan) Calories: 111, Fat: 1.8g, Saturated Fat: .5g, Fiber: 4.7g, Protein: 11g, Cholesterol: 13.3mg, Carbohydrates: 13.6g
- Weight Watchers POINTS: SmartPoints: 4, PointsPlus: 3, Old Points Program: 2