This Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto soup recipe comes together really quickly, and it is absolutely delicious. Try serving it with a green salad and garlic toast.
When the days are chilly and I’m looking for something to help me feel cozy and warm, I love to make a big pot of soup. It’s pure comfort food without being too decadent.
Soup is the perfect answer to “What should we have for lunch today?” It warms your soul and totally satisfies and fills you up. I love a good bowlful that doesn’t leave me lurking in the pantry for the rest of the day in search of more food.
This Tuscan White Bean Soup is definitely a good bowlful. It’s a light and brothy soup with vegetables and white beans. A little bit of prosciutto is in there too, which is a really great addition to the soup.
Optional, but delicious, is the decision to stir some sherry into this hearty soup. I love that it’s hearty, but it’s on the lighter side.
Tuscan White Bean Soup is Weight Watchers friendly. If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints plan, a bowl of this soup (about 1 1/2 cups) will count as 3 Freestyle Points. It’s a wonderful soup for the plan since it’s such a filling meal!
If you’re not following Weight Watchers, then you just get the bonus of eating a soup that is lighter and healthier. Consider it making good choices without even trying!
This soup would also make a terrific light dinner. Add a salad and hunk of bread to make it complete!
If you’re looking for more light lunch recipes, you might also like to try my Greek Chicken Lettuce Wraps or this Skinny Taco Pizza. Skinny Southwest Chicken Salad, Fruity Curry Chicken Salad, and Shrimp Avocado Salad are delicious lunch options too!
Tuscan White Bean Soup with Prosciutto
I love this simple soup recipe- it's perfect have for lunch!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) chopped prosciutto
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 19-ounce cans cannellini beans (or other white beans), undrained
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1 15.75-ounce can fat free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sherry, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the prosciutto, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Add the water, beans, bay leaves and broth, and bring soup to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer soup for 20 minutes.
- Add the parsley, sherry and black pepper; cook for 1 minute. Discard bay leaves.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use brands of prosciutto, chicken broth and beans that are known to be GF.
- Weight Watchers POINTS per serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 3, Points Plus Program: 9, Old Points Program: 7