Here’s an easy recipe for Irish Bread Pudding served with Caramel Whiskey Sauce.
This recipe has been approved by my very Irish husband. He enjoys his Irish whiskey, so a slice of Irish pudding topped with caramel whiskey sauce is the perfect dessert indeed!
Irish Bread Pudding
This Irish Bread Pudding recipe begins with a classic bread pudding that has a little bit of Irish whiskey mixed in. It’s sweet and tender. There are raisins mixed in. And there is a cinnamon-sugar mix sprinkled on top.
Individual slices (best served warm) are topped with a generous spoonful of sweet, creamy caramel sauce with more Irish whiskey added in. Yes, I believe you need to enjoy the flavor of whiskey at least a little bit to enjoy this dessert. I’m not bonkers for whiskey, but I do love this Irish bread pudding recipe a lot. I don’t feel like the flavor of whiskey is overwhelming at all.
Here are a few more bread pudding recipes you might enjoy:
Irish Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce
Prep Time:45 minutes
Cook Time:1 hour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 10 ounce French bread baguette, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 1 3/4 cups 1% low fat milk
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- One 12 ounce can evaporated skim milk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 1/4 cup 1% low fat milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Brush melted butter on one side of French bread slices, and place bread, buttered sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake bread at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. (leave oven on) Cut bread into cubes and set aside.
- Combine raisins and whiskey in a small bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes or until soft; do not drain.
- Whisk together 1% milk, sugar, vanilla, evap. milk, and eggs in a large bowl. Add bread and raisin mixture, pressing gently to moisten; let stand 15 minutes. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly on top. Bake 35 minutes, or until set.
- Prepare sauce: Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Simmer on low and cook an additional 15 minutes or until golden - the mixture should be bubbling (do not stir). Remove from heat. Carefully add butter and cream cheese, stirring constantly with a whisk (the mixture will be hot and bubble vigorously). Cool slightly, and stir in whiskey and milk.
- Serve individual slices with warm sauce drizzled on top.
- If you prefer not to use whiskey, substitute apple juice for whiskey in the pudding. In the sauce, substitute 1 tablespoon imitation rum extract and 3 tablespoons water for the whiskey.