A totally unique and delicious twist on a classic: Strawberry Bread Pudding with Chocolate Chips
Strawberry Bread Pudding with Chocolate Chips
Such a fun and summery recipe to share with friends...
Prep Time:40 min
Cook Time:50 min
1 pound loaf egg bread or challah, cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices (or buy bread that is already sliced)
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 pint strawberries, trimmed & sliced
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1/3 cup chocolate chips (preferably the mini chips)
1 quart half and half
4 large eggs
5 large egg yolks
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Place rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Melt 4 Tablespoons butter & brush onto one side of each of the bread slices. Set the bread, buttered- side- up, on a large baking sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
3. Place strawberries in a bowl and sprinkle them with 2 Tablespoons of the sugar. Toss and set aside.
4. When the bread is toasted, reduce oven temp. to 325°F. and set a large roasting pan half-filled with hot water on the middle rack to act as a water bath. Trim the crusts off the bread and cut each slice of bread diagonally in half into triangles.
5. Use the remaining 1 Tablespoon butter to grease a 9x12-inch glass baking dish at least 1 1/2-inches deep. Line the sides of the baking dish with the pieces of bread, points up. Line the bottom of the dish with more of the bread. Stand the remaining bread, points up, wedged between the bottom slices. (Don't worry if there are some spaces in between the slices or if the pieces standing up lean over a bit.)
6. Scatter strawberries onto the bread and around the baking dish. Scatter half of the chocolate chips over the bread and between the slices.
7. In a large saucepan, heat the half-and-half and the remaining 1 cup sugar over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, until the mixture is hot but not boiling.
8. In a medium bowl, beat the whole eggs and egg yolks to blend. Whisk in vanilla. Remove the hot half-and-half from the heat. Whisk hot mixture into eggs 1/2 cup at a time, gradually warming up the egg mixture and not 'cooking' it. Pour the custard through a sieve into the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. Set the dish in the roasting pan in the oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the custard is just set. Remove from the water bath and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted from Cooking for a Crowd)
More bread pudding recipes you might enjoy:
Raspberry- Chocolate Bread Pudding by Two Peas and Their Pod
Cinnamon- Caramel Bread Pudding by RecipeGirl
Nutella Bread Pudding by Inspired Taste
Irish Bread Pudding with Caramel- Whiskey Sauce by RecipeGirl
Blueberry Bread Pudding by Bake or Break