This recipe for Fresh Strawberry Pie is a great one to make when you have access to loads of sweet, fresh strawberries.
How to make Fresh Strawberry Pie:
This pie starts with a buttery, vanilla wafer crumb crust that is scented with orange zest. The filling is made up of a pile of fresh strawberries that are coated with a quick and easy, homemade strawberry syrup.
A generous dollop of whipped cream is added to individual slices for serving.
I love to make Fresh Strawberry Pie as a summer dessert. It’s nice for parties, of course, but it’s also nice to just make a pie and eat it one slice per day. Can you manage yourself to stick with just one slice per day?? I know it might be tough to do, but if you stay on schedule, you can enjoy it for four days if you share it with a friend!
Fresh Strawberry Pie is also a good one for gifting. Give this beautiful creation to someone who needs cheering up. Or bring it along to your next gathering with friends or family. Everyone appreciates a homemade dessert.
If you’re looking for more recipes using fresh strawberries, you might also like to try my Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler or this Instant Pot Strawberry Jam. Watermelon- Strawberry Caprese Salad, Strawberry Crisp, and Strawberry Scones are also delicious strawberry recipes to try!
Fresh Strawberry Pie
Grab some sweet, fresh strawberries and make this pie!
- 50 vanilla wafers
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 cups halved ripe strawberries (washed and hulled)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 cups halved small ripe strawberries (washed and hulled)
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
MAKE THE CRUST:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Process the wafers in a food processor until finely ground. Add the butter, sugar and orange zest and pulse just until combined. Pat the crumb mixture over the bottom and up the side of a greased 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
MAKE THE FILLING:
- Mash 2 cups of strawberries in a saucepan, using a potato masher. Stir in the water. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Press the strawberry mixture through a sieve into a bowl, discarding the solids and reserving 1 cup of the liquid. Add additional water if needed to measure 1 cup.
Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan and mix well. Stir in the reserved liquid. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Arrange just enough of the 6 cups of strawberries to form 1 layer over the baked crust. Spoon about 1/3 of the sauce over the strawberries and top with remaining strawberries and remaining sauce. Chill for 3 hours or longer. Serve with the whipped cream.