This Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a super simple green enchilada that you don’t even have to both with rolling. Think of it like a Mexican lasagna. Doing the cooking in the Instant Pot makes this quick AND easy too.
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a lot to say. I usually drill that down to “green enchiladas,” myself. You can call them whatever you want, as long as you also call them “dinner.”
I make all of this in the Instant Pot. All of it. My kids love chicken tacos, so I usually make a big batch of salsa verde chicken (recipe at the bottom under the recipe!) once or twice a month. That makes enough to have a taco dinner PLUS an extra dinner’s worth where you could do cool things like chicken taco soup or these awesome green enchiladas.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken in Your Electric Pressure Cooker:
First, start with the chicken. We used chicken tenders for this, but you could use regular breasts as well, or if you are really in a pinch you can use rotisserie chicken and season it well with some green chiles and salsa verde.
If you want to make good use of your Instant Pot for the chicken as well as the casserole, just toss the chicken into the pot, add in the green chiles and salsa verde, and then cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Let the pot release the pressure manually for 10 minutes, and then move the vent carefully over to the venting position to let the remaining pressure escape.
Carefully remove the chicken from the pot and shred with your stand mixer using the paddle attachment or the old-fashioned way with two forks. Mix some of the cooking liquid back into the chicken.
How to Layer an Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
Layering your enchiladas is super simple. I have an 8 quart Instant Pot and use a 7-inch springform pan inside for these types of dishes. When using something round to layer, I like to break the tortillas in half so I can get nice even layer without too much in one area. Layer tortillas, enchilada sauce, chicken and cheese. Then repeat!
I was so excited about how great this came out! This would be a perfect dish to bring over to a friend or neighbor, and it reheats really well if you need something for lunches for the family.
It even slices well.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Casseroles:
- Use non-stick foil to cover your pan, or you’re cheese will peel off with the foil. If you don’t have non-stick foil, spray it SUPER liberally with cooking spray!
- Make this a fajita casserole by layering in some bell peppers that have been sauteed for a few minutes in a skillet.
- This can be baked if you don’t have an Instant Pot, or if you need to make a larger batch.
Serve this Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole With:
- Instant Pot Mexican Rice by Or Whatever You Do
- Instant Pot Cheesecake by Recipe Girl
- Easy Guacamole by The Creative Bite
- Traeger Smoked Salsa Verde by Or Whatever You Do
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Salsa Verde Chicken:
- 1 pound chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 1 can green chiles (large or small can depending on how much you like them!)
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas
Prepare the Shredded Salsa Verde Chicken:
- Place the chicken, salsa, 1 cup enchilada sauce, water, and chilies into your Instant Pot. Close the lid, shut the vent, and set the timer to manual 8 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, let the pot naturally release pressure for 10 minutes, and then vent the remaining pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and discard all but 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Shred the chicken using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or two forks. Mix in the remaining cooking liquid into the chicken and set aside.
Assemble the Casserole
- Spray a high-sided, round pan that will fit into your Instant Pot liberally with cooking spray (I like to use a springform pan). Cut your tortillas in half, and place one layer into the bottom of the pan. Top with some of the enchilada sauce, then a layer of chicken and a layer of cheese.
- Repeat the layering once more, and then top with a final layer of tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese. Cover tightly with non-stick foil, or foil that has been liberally sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 - 3/4 cup water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place a trivet inside, and then carefully lower the covered casserole into the pot. You may want to use a foil sling for this, or if you have a trivet with long handles you can use that.
- Close the pot, shut the vent, and set on Manual mode High pressure for 12 minutes. Increase cooking time by 2 to 3 minutes if this was previously refrigerated before cooking, and 4 to 5 minutes if it was previously frozen.
- When cooking time finishes, vent the pressure carefully and let the casserole sit for 5 to 10 minutes to set up. Serve with your favorite Mexican garnishes. We like lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and green salsa and hot sauces!
So it tastes great but mine came out very wet. Not sure if I missed a step or not. Going to attempt to dry it out some by putting it in the oven.
I made exactly as posted. I missed having spices, salt & pepper is needed IMO. That said we both really liked it and will make again.
Delicious and very easy! Thanks for posting it.
This was delicious! Soooo easy to make. I didn’t use my instapot for cooking of the actual casserole, but I used it for the chicken. I just baked it in the oven. This is an absolute keeper. Thanks for sharing!
Already had shredded chicken, but followed the casserole directions. Once done in pressure cooker, I added a little more shredded cheese and put the casserole in my air fryer for about 5 minutes (maybe a little less) . Turned out great. Thanks for the recipe!
Great recipe! Easy and delicious.
The only thing I did differently was instead of discarding the extra sauce the chicken cooked in I put it back it back into Instant Pot, brought to a boil and thickened with corn starch.
I didn’t even have to open the second can. Used it for the layers and added the remainder to the open jar of Salsa Verde.
I couldn’t bear to waste that sauce. I also used chicken stock in place of water.
How can I make the casserole in the oven…
This is an Instant Pot recipe, so I don’t have oven instructions for this one.
So glad I found this! My husband hates mushy corn tortilla – ok to griddle them first? Also, what about those stacking pans with lids and a trivet – would those work?
Not sure on either of those questions, sorry!
I loved this recipe however I was baffled as to how to layer the tortillas based on how many you listed in the recipe. I was disappointed in the amount of liquid that is dumped once the chicken is cooked as well. I followed the recipe but the overall temperature of the dish was ‘warm” not “hot”, luckily it was cooked enough to eat. Suggestions??
We did enjoy the taste/flavor of the dish and will make it again but it will need to be modified.
Tasted good. But very loose. Ingredient list says 12 Tortillas. But the direction only has three or four layers so that would be three or four tortillas
I think the recipe would be better if you said exactly what size can you need and then, “divided.”
2). Not sure the difference between salsa Verde and green enchiladas sauce. It seems wasteful to discard all this after cooking the chicken. I thickened it with cornstarch and used out of necessity
3). Toss out the green chillies too?? Nope!
This needs to be in my instant pot today! YUM!
This casserole is delicious! Love that I can make it in my Instant Pot!
I love a good enchilada recipe, this looks amazing!
These enchiladas are DELICIOUS! Seriously sooo yummy and unbelievably simple. Thanks so much for sharing!
OMG this was amazing. My family devoured it, I was hoping for leftovers, ha!
Would flour tortillas work in this? My kids do not like corn
They may fall apart or get a little soggy…
II’ve made this recipe numerous times and have always used flour tortillas. Works perfectly.
Do you put the pan you use for the casserole inside the pot that comes with the insta pot or just inside the insta pot without the pot, just the casserole pan? I’m fairly new to instapot and still scared to blow my kitchen up lol.
inside the pot that comes with the instant pot!
Hey! I don’t have a spring form pan. is there another pan that might work? a pie plate or could i just layer it right in the bottom of the instant pot?
I’m not sure! Might be a hot mess if you just layer right in there.
I do not own an Instant Pot. How would I bake this in the oven? Thanks!
This recipe is specifically for the Instant Pot. I’d look for another recipe if you want something specifically for the oven.
How many tortillas for each layer?
Single layer, but overlapping is fine!
YAY! Thank you for a new instapot recipe! I love my instapot and I love your recipes, so I can’t wait to make this. Great timing for Cinco de Mayo!! You rock! XO
I made this to enjoy for dinner tonight. I made it too large to fit into my instant pot so I’ll be putting it in the oven. How long should I bake it and at what temp?