This recipe has been featured in a menu on the site- Sicilian Dinner Party.
Roasted Vegetable Tart
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 round refrigerated pie crusts
- Toss the eggplant, mushrooms, bell pepper and zucchini with olive oil in large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees, or until the vegetables are tender, stirring once or twice.
- Beat blue cheese and cream cheese in bowl until smooth. Add egg and Parmesan and beat until blended.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold each pie pastry on baking sheet and pinch any tears. Spread ½ of the cheese mixture to within 2 inches of the edge of each pastry. Arrange ½ vegetables over the cheese and fold the pastry over from the edges, making a lip around the pastry so that it partially covers the filling.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.
- I have varied the cheese from goat cheese to gorgonzola, both with good results.
- Try adding a little fennel seed.