If you love scallops as much as I do, you’ll really enjoy this recipe for Seared Scallops with Lemon Orzo
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW plan, you’ll find a link to the WW Points on the recipe card below.
Seared Scallops with Lemon Orzo
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta), or other small pasta
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds sea scallops
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
PREPARE THE ORZO:
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with nonstick spray. Add the onion to the pan; sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta, broth, wine and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and the pasta is al dente.
- Stir in the chopped chives and lemon juice. Keep warm.
PREPARE THE SCALLOPS:
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the scallops evenly with salt and pepper. Add the scallops to the pan; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Serve with the the pasta mixture.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is known to be GF, and serve over a bed of quinoa or other gluten-free grain instead of pasta (or use gluten-free pasta).
- The picture above shows an alternate pasta in the recipe: tubetti #62. If you sub this sort of pasta, you'll need to keep adding additional chicken broth until pasta tests done.