This is great comfort food for a Sunday dinner: Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken and Beans
We like to eat these as tacos!
Pinto beans are cooked slow with salsa, chipotle peppers and veggies. Chicken is added in halfway through the slow cooking process. It shreds up nicely when done, and then you can spoon into tortillas for tacos. Or you can also serve it over rice.
Add your favorite fixings like cheese, sour cream, tomatoes, guacamole and fresh cilantro.
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken and Beans
- 1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed and soaked in water for at least a couple of hours
- One 16 ounce jar mild or medium salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker, stir together drained beans, salsa, chiles, flour, 1 cup water, onion and bell pepper.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture, add another cup of water, and cook on low heat for 4 more hours.
- Shred chicken, and stir.
- Serve over brown rice, or inside flour tortillas to make tacos (not included in the nutritional). Garnish with cilantro and additional desired toppings.
- You may also use 1 to 2 cans of pinto beans, rinsed in place of the dried beans. Leave out the water in the recipe if you use canned beans. Don't add canned beans until the last hour of cooking.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten free, use a GF flour substitute or another thickening option instead of the all-purpose flour.