My Mom used to make these Stuffed Peppers all the time for our family when I was little. This version is very similar to what she made for us in the 70’s!
- 6 large green, red and/or yellow bell peppers
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- One 15-ounce can chopped fire-roasted tomatoes
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes (or use shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut tops off of the peppers. Then, scoop out seeds and membranes and discard.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the beef and cook until browned. Stir in remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Stuff the peppers with the beef mixture and place in a rimmed casserole dish. Bake 30 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Try using varied spices, or substituting cheddar for a different type of cheese.