Such a fun fall appetizer recipe: Pumpkin Cheese Ball
Yield: Serves 16
Prep Time: 30 minutes + chill time
Pumpkin Cheese Ball
This fall-themed dip, in the shape of a small pumpkin, is topped with a broccoli stalk for the stem. It makes for a fun autumn appetizer.
- 16 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 8-ounce package light cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 8-ounce container chive-and-onion cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 stalk broccoli
- red and green apple wedges or baguette slices
- Combine cheddar cheese, cream cheeses, paprika and red pepper in a bowl until well blended. Cover and chill 4 hours or until mixture is firm enough to be shaped.
- Shape mixture into a ball to resemble a pumpkin. Smooth entire outer surface with a frosting spatula or table knife. Make vertical grooves in ball, if desired, using fingertips. Or use long strips of carrot peel to mark the grooves in the pumpkin.
- Cut florets from broccoli stalk and reserve for another use. Cut stalk to resemble a pumpkin stem, and press into top of cheese ball. Serve cheese ball with apple wedges or baguette slices.
- You can use full-fat cream cheese if you'd like, but the light cream cheese tends to be a little softer, which makes it easier to spread onto crackers, etc.
- To make ahead, wrap cheese ball in plastic wrap without stalk, and store in refrigerator up to 2 days. Attach stalk before serving.
- To keep apple slices from browning, toss slices in lemon juice, or dip in Sprite!
- Trying serving with pretzels or pita chips too.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl.com (Adapted slightly from Southern Living