This Roasted Pumpkin Sausage Risotto with Feta is the perfect recipe for a fall dinner.
What is Risotto?
Risotto is a northern Italian rice dish cooked with broth until it reaches a creamy consistency. The broth can be meat, fish or vegetable-based. Risotto can be found near the rice at your grocery store. Alternately, if your market has an Italian section then it will definitely be found there.
Risotto Pumpkin Sausage Risotto with Feta:
Risotto is the perfect, warm and comforting dinner. And the addition of roasted pumpkin and ground sausage really helps it feel like a main dish. Spinach mixed in adds a vegetable to the meal, and feta cheese gives it a delicious salty bonus on top.
Try this Roasted Pumpkin Sausage Risotto with Feta for a delicious fall dinner. Don’t let the use of fresh pumpkin scare you. It’s good! Enjoy!
Here are a few more recipes using fresh pumpkin:
Roasted Pumpkin Sausage Risotto
- 3¼ cups peeled, cubed pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ pound ground Italian sausage
- 2 cups Arborio rice (risotto)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a baking dish with olive oil.
- Place the pumpkin in a vegetable steamer over 1-inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still slightly firm. Transfer the pumpkin to the prepared baking dish, and brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and sausage, and cook until the onion is tender and sausage is cooked. Stir in the rice, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add the vegetable broth ½ cup at a time, stirring frequently and allowing all of the liquid to be absorbed before adding more broth. Continue cooking until the rice is tender to bite, and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash ½ of the pumpkin and cut the other half into cubes. Stir the mashed pumpkin into the risotto along with the spinach. Ladle the risotto into bowls, and top with pumpkin cubes and feta crumbles.