Here’s a healthier version of the classic: Chiles Rellenos Casserole
It’s easy to make, and I’ve included Weight Watchers Points and full nutritional information below!
Yield: 6 servings (3 1/2-inch squares)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Chiles Rellenos Casserole
- 1/2 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- One 16-ounce can fat-free refried beans
- Two 4-ounce cans whole green chiles, drained and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 cup (4 ounces) pre-shredded colby-Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups nonfat milk
- 1/8 teaspoon tabasco sauce
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- red onion slices, optional
- cilantro sprigs, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook chicken or turkey and chopped onion in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Remove from heat; add cumin and next 5 ingredients. Stir well; set aside.
- Arrange half of green chiles in an 11x7-inch baking dish; top with 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon mounds of meat/bean mixture onto the cheese; spread gently, leaving a 1/4-inch border around edge of dish. Top with corn. Arrange remaining green chiles over corn; top with 1/2 cup cheese.
- Combine flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; gradually add milk and next 3 ingredients, stirring with a whisk until blended. Pour over casserole.
- Bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until set; let stand 5 minutes. Garnish with onion slices and cilantro sprigs, if desired.
- Two 4.5-ounce cans of chopped green chiles can be substituted for whole chiles, if desired.
- Nutritional Information per serving (Serving size: One 3 1/2-inch square), Calories: 292, Fat: 9.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.6g, Sodium: 640g, Fiber: 5.2g, Protein: 23.3g, Cholesterol: 118mg, Carbohydrates: 29.3g
- WW POINTS: SmartPoints: 7, Points Plus: 7, Old Points Program: 6