This Green Chile Rice has always been a favorite side dish recipe for dinner.
In this recipe, cooked white rice is combined with buttery sauteed onions, sour cream, cottage cheese and spices. Then you’ll layer the rice mixture, whole canned mild green chiles and sharp cheddar cheese in a casserole dish.
After 25 minutes in the oven, the cheese is bubbly and the rice is nice and creamy.
Every spoonful will grab creamy rice, chiles and plenty of melted cheese! I love to make this recipe as a side to go with tacos, fajitas and grilled carne asada.
If you’re looking for more Mexican side dish recipes, you might also enjoy my Mexican Chopped Salad and this Easy Mexican Rice. Mexican Corn and Mexican Slaw Salad with Black Beans are also great choices!
Green Chile Rice
Great side dish to Mexican main dishes!
- 3 4-ounce cans whole green chiles, drained
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 4 cups hot cooked white rice
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup small curd low fat cottage cheese
- 1 large bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 12x8-inch baking dish.
- Slice the chiles lengthwise into halves, discarding the seeds. Set aside.
Sauté the onion in butter in a large skillet until golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in the cooked rice, sour cream, cottage cheese, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Layer rice mixture, chiles and cheddar cheese 1/2 at a time in prepared dish. Bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
- *If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use a brand of chiles that is known to be GF.