Here’s a super easy side dish recipe to serve alongside your Mexican food dinner: Mexican Corn (of course!)
It’s really not that big of a deal, but it’s totally good and the family enjoys it. Frozen corn (fresh, if you’ve got it!), zucchini, bell pepper, green onion, jalapeno and cilantro. There’s some jarred salsa mixed in there too. Hints of Mexican-style flavors in there, as you can see.
If you’re like me, you’re always wondering what might be good to serve with tacos, enchiladas or my Santa Fe Chicken recipe. This is it. It’s so quick to throw together, and if you’re really lucky… your kids will eat the zucchini and red bell pepper that you snuck into their corn 🙂 The jalapeno does not make things spicy unless you failed to remove the seeds. Otherwise, it just adds flavor to the dish. And be sure to use mild salsa if you’re serving to kids who like mild-flavored things.
I always tell my son if he just digs his spoon in there to take a bite, the whole dish is going to just taste like corn (which he’s madly crazy about). For the most part, I’ve been successful in delving into his psyche and convincing him that this is true. And maybe someday he’ll actually just eat zucchini and bell peppers without needing me to convince him that he’s not going to fall over and die if he eats these things. He’s not super jazzed about vegetables if you’ve clued in to that yet, but I’ll never stop trying! Someday… this kid is going to enjoy them. A lot!
In any case, I hope you’ll give this one a shot with your own kids. And I can’t help but want to add a handful of crispy bacon to make it even better. That would hook the kiddos for sure. Next time.
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:8 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- One 16-ounce package frozen corn kernels
- 1 medium red bell pepper, ribs removed and chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 2 whole green onions, chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño chili, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup bottled salsa
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn, red bell pepper, zucchini, green onions and jalapeño and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Mix in the salsa and chopped cilantro. Stir until heated through, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, just be sure to use a brand of salsa that is known to be GF.
- 2 WEIGHT WATCHERS Freestyle SmartPoints per serving (6 servings)