Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tots

This appetizer has been featured in a how-to post on The Recipe Girl blog: Bacon & Cheese Wrapped Tater Tots w/ Tabasco.

Bacon- Wrapped Tater Tots - RecipeGirl.com

Print Print Recipe
Save Save Recipe

Bacon- Wrapped Tater Tots

Yield: 24 appetizers

Prep Time: 25 min

Cook Time: 15 min

This appetizer is a fun one for sports-themed parties like Super Bowl. They're simple to make and will be quickly devoured by your guests!

Ingredients:

24 tater tots, partially defrosted (15 minutes at room temperature)
12 strips center-cut bacon, cut in half crosswise
24 (1/2-inch) chunks sharp cheddar cheese
24 drops Tabasco sauce
24 toothpicks

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.

2. Lay a piece of bacon on a flat surface. Place a tater tot on top. Using a sharp knife, gently cut a slit down the center of the tater tot. Wiggle a piece of cheese into the slit. Sprinkle Tabasco sauce on top. Wrap bacon tightly around the stuffed tater tot and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

3. Bake 15 minutes, or until they appear to be cooked through and the bacon is crispy. Serve immediately.

Tips:

*Tater tots are found in the frozen section- Ore Ida makes them.
*Variations: add a piece of pickle on top of the cheese. Roll the bacon-wrapped tater tot in brown sugar before baking to add a little sweet flavor to this (my favorite way to make these)- just make sure you don't over-bake them though or the sugar will make them burn. Or try replacing the cheddar cheese with cream cheese and a piece of pepperoncini.
*Make ahead tip: Assemble these a few hours ahead, place them on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and bake when ready.
*Try serving them up with a spicy sour cream dip- sour cream mixed with a little bit of Tabasco sauce.

Source: RecipeGirl.com

12 Responses to “Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tots”

Alice — June 17, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

I saw these on the Food Network last week, except they had a jalepeno indide and cheese on top and were deep fried. OK, maybe it wasn’t exactly the same. But I just think they’d be so yummy!!

Dorothea — December 11, 2011 @ 6:20 PM

It would be really helpful if you included the Nutrition facts with the recipes.

Lori Lange — December 11, 2011 @ 9:21 PM

It’s included on all of my weight watcher and low fat category recipes, but not sweets and others.

Dorothea — December 11, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

Thanks for the quick response. Sorry it isn’t on everything

Gail — December 12, 2011 @ 7:04 AM

Can these be baked ahead and then reheated in a microwave? I’d like to bring these to an office party but we do not have an oven – just a microwave. Thanks for the great recipe!

Lori Lange — December 13, 2011 @ 9:56 AM

I’m sure they can. I’m not certain how great they’ll be that way since when they’re fresh out of the oven they are nice and crispy. The microwave might make them a little soft.

Gail — December 13, 2011 @ 11:56 AM

That’s a good point Lori. Now that I think of it, we have a small toaster oven that I may be able to use to rewarm them. they may stay crispie enough if I make them at home in the a.m. before coming to work. Thanks!

Linda — January 24, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

I am making these this weekend for a Bunco party. Can’t wait to try them. Sounds great :)

Yolanda — January 30, 2013 @ 2:05 PM

I tried these the other night and one pan was not enough! The smell in my house was insane! My kids were literally bartering for the last few – lol.

Thank you so much – these will be such a hit at this weekends Superbowl party! I also got all my laundry folded courtesy of the tot bartering ;)

Paula Ramsay — February 2, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

I am thinking that the bacon & tater tots don’t cook in the same amount of time…..doesn’t the bacon come out still mushy? Would it be an idea to partially cook the bacon first in a frying pan & then wrap the tator tots with it??

Lori Lange — February 3, 2013 @ 2:15 PM

No- they work out as the recipe is written!

Kelly — January 12, 2014 @ 1:18 PM

Bacon wrapped tater-tots?!? What’s not to love?
    Thanks for sharing,