These Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots are quick and easy appetizer recipe for you that requires only 4 ingredients: bacon, tater tots, cheddar cheese and Tabasco sauce. This recipe is perfect for football season!
The best thing about game days (besides watching those guys in tight pants running around the field with a football) is definitely the food. We’re all about comfort food of all sorts right now. This is food you’re (eventually) willing to sacrifice extra time at the gym for. Comfort food is food that you only treat yourself to on days that you feel like you need it. Watching football wouldn’t be quite right without comfort food, would it?
Ingredients needed for Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots
- frozen tater tots
- Tabasco sauce
- sharp cheddar cheese
- center-cut bacon
How to make Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots:
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots are so easy to assemble! Lay out a piece of bacon. Put a tater tot on top. Cut open the tater tot a little bit. Place a chunk of cheese inside the tater tot. Drizzle Tabasco sauce on the cheese. Wrap the bacon around the tater tot.
Secure the bacon wrapped tot with a toothpick and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of your ingredients. Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes, until tater tots are cooked through and bacon is crispy. Drain on paper towels to rid these little bites of any excess fat.
Serve immediately! If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try one of the suggested variations in the recipe below. Include a pickle for a little bit of a salty addition. Roll the original in brown sugar before baking. Or stuff with cream cheese and peperoncini instead.
This appetizer rocks. It’s easy to assemble, it’s kid-friendly, and comfort food fans will devour these in no time at all. In our house, the hands-down favorite is the variation where you roll the original in brown sugar before baking. The flavors of sweet, smoky, and spicy are a delicious combination.
Here are a few more bacon wrapped appetizer recipes you might enjoy:
- Bacon Wrapped Apricots
- Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- Sweet and Spicy Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
- Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots
- 24 partially defrosted tater tots (15 min. at room temperature)
- 12 strips center-cut bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 24 ½-inch chunks sharp cheddar cheese
- 24 drops Tabasco sauce
- 24 toothpicks
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Lay a piece of bacon on a flat surface. Place a tater tot on top. Using a sharp knife, gently cut a slit down the center of the tater tot. Wiggle a piece of cheese into the slit. Sprinkle Tabasco sauce on top. Wrap bacon tightly around the stuffed tater tot and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until they appear to be cooked through and the bacon is crispy. Serve immediately.
- Tater tots are found in the frozen section- Ore Ida makes them.
- Variations: add a piece of pickle on top of the cheese. Roll the bacon-wrapped tater tot in brown sugar before baking to add a little sweet flavor to this (my favorite way to make these)- just make sure you don't over-bake them though or the sugar will make them burn. Or try replacing the cheddar cheese with cream cheese and a piece of peperoncini.
- Make ahead tip: Assemble these a few hours ahead, place them on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and bake when ready.
- Try serving them up with a spicy sour cream dip- sour cream mixed with a little bit of Tabasco sauce.