These Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots are quick and easy appetizer recipe for you that requires only 4 ingredients: bacon, tater tots, cheddar cheese and Tabasco sauce. This recipe is perfect for football season!
The best thing about game days (besides watching those guys in tight pants running around the field with a football) is definitely the food… comfort food of all sorts… food you’re willing to sacrifice extra time at the gym for… food that you only treat yourself to on Sundays. Watching football wouldn’t be quite right without comfort food, would it?
These are so easy to assemble!
Secure with a toothpick and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 450 for about 15 minutes, until tater tots are cooked through and bacon is crispy. Drain on paper towels to rid these little bites of any excess fat.
Serve immediately! If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try one of the suggested variations in the recipe below. Include a pickle for a little bit of a salty addition. Roll the original in brown sugar before baking. Or stuff with cream cheese and peperoncini instead.
This appetizer rocks. It’s easy to assemble, it’s kid-friendly, and football fans will devour these in no time at all. In our house, the hands-down favorite was the variation where you roll the original in brown sugar before baking. The flavors of sweet, smoky, and spicy were a delicious combination.
Click below to watch a short video showing you how to make this recipe, then scroll to the bottom to print out the complete recipe.
Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
- 24 tater tots, partially defrosted (15 minutes at room temperature)
- 12 strips center-cut bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 24 (1/2-inch) chunks sharp cheddar cheese
- 24 drops Tabasco sauce
- 24 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Lay a piece of bacon on a flat surface. Place a tater tot on top. Using a sharp knife, gently cut a slit down the center of the tater tot. Wiggle a piece of cheese into the slit. Sprinkle Tabasco sauce on top. Wrap bacon tightly around the stuffed tater tot and secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until they appear to be cooked through and the bacon is crispy. Serve immediately.
- Tater tots are found in the frozen section- Ore Ida makes them.
- Variations: add a piece of pickle on top of the cheese. Roll the bacon-wrapped tater tot in brown sugar before baking to add a little sweet flavor to this (my favorite way to make these)- just make sure you don't over-bake them though or the sugar will make them burn. Or try replacing the cheddar cheese with cream cheese and a piece of peperoncini.
- Make ahead tip: Assemble these a few hours ahead, place them on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap and bake when ready.
- Try serving them up with a spicy sour cream dip- sour cream mixed with a little bit of Tabasco sauce.