Norwegian Pancakes

Yield: 3 to 4 (about 3 rolled pancakes per person)

Prep Time: 10 min

Cook Time: 15 min

Norwegian Pancakes

These remind me of the Swedish pancakes that my grandmother used to make

3 large eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk (nonfat milk is fine)
2 Tablespoons melted butter
more butter for frying up the pancakes

1. In large bowl, beat eggs well. Whisk in flour and salt- mixture will be thick. Add in melted butter. Gradually whisk in milk until the batter is smooth.

2. In hot nonstick skillet, fry 1/4 cup batter at a time in a little bit of butter. If shape is not a concern, fry several at a time on a large griddle. Flip when the top appears to be set.

3. To serve, roll with a fork and top with lingonberries, strawberry jam or syrup.

*You can use maple syrup, but the fruit topping on these is much better- I suggest Llingonberry jam and a little powdered sugar.

14 Responses to “Norwegian Pancakes”

1. postedFeb 26, 2011 9:52 AM

These pancakes are the perfect canvas for all kinds of fillings and toppings. Great inspiration!

2. postedFeb 26, 2011 10:12 AM

These look like a delicious compromise between American pancakes and crepes.

Thanks for the recipe!

3. postedOct 8, 2012 1:59 AM

Thanks for making me remember the taste of my childhood in Denmark:)

4. postedFeb 23, 2013 5:39 AM

I am both…Swedish and Norwegian. I LOVE finding traditional recipes from my heritage! I WILL be making these.

5. postedFeb 24, 2013 3:06 AM
    Karen T

Had this pancake growing up and still love it today.

6. postedFeb 24, 2013 6:38 AM

Thank you for posting this recipe, I look forward to trying them. Question: there is a “gourmet” breakfast chain called the Original Pancake House and, I’m wondering if you have one near you? If so, do you know whether their 49’ers (they also call them flapjacks) are the same as Norwegian pancakes? I love their 49’ers and always wondered how to make them..

• February 24th, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

Hmmm, I have no idea! I’ve been to an OPH, but I’ve not had what you mentioned.

7. postedMar 28, 2013 8:14 AM
    Mariette Visser

These are very similar to the pancakes we have here in South Africa. We enjoy them with cinnamon-sugar and a little lemon juice (sprinkle over before you roll them)! Do try them like that! It is amazing! Another favourite is caramel and banana! You can even add a dollop of whipped cream for even more indulgence!

8. postedMay 16, 2013 9:56 AM

Do you think it would be okay to sub in the AP flour with oat flour?

• May 16th, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

I don’t think those are equal subs for each other… I don’t really know much about oat flour so I can’t recommend.

9. postedMar 4, 2014 12:26 PM

I LOVE this recipe of yours! I’m gearing up to start a blog and I would love to feature this recipe in one of my posts, if you wouldn’t mind. I would certainly link to your page, as well.

• March 8th, 2014 @ 6:31 AM

You are welcome to make the recipe, take your own photos and link to the recipe on my site- but please do not re-publish the recipe on your own site. Thank you!

10. postedDec 9, 2014 11:38 AM

being a norwegian and having eaten many pancakes on my time, I would just like to say.ANYTHING GOES ON A CREPE. I always fry up bacon until crisp. Then, I use raspberry ham. Both bacon an raspberry ham adds to the pancakes a most delicious combination. And by the way, I woul try your recipe with 4 rather than 3 eggs.

• December 10th, 2014 @ 7:06 PM

Thanks so much for the tips!