This recipe has been featured in a post on The Recipe Girl blog: St. Patrick’s Day Recipes.
IRISH BREAD PUDDING WITH CARAMEL- WHISKEY SAUCE
¼ cup light butter, melted
10 ounce French bread baguette, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
½ cup raisins
¼ cup Irish whiskey
1¾ cups 1% low fat milk
1 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbs vanilla extract
12 ounce can evaporated skim milk
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbs granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1½ cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup water
¼ cup light butter
2 ounces low fat cream cheese, cut into cubes (about ¼ cup)
¼ cup Irish whiskey
¼ cup 1% low fat milk
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Brush melted butter on one side of French bread slices, and place bread, buttered sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake bread at 350° for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. (leave oven on) Cut bread into cubes and set aside.
3. Combine raisins and whiskey in a small bowl; cover and let stand 10 minutes or until soft; do not drain.
4. Whisk together 1% milk, sugar, vanilla, evap. milk, and eggs in a large bowl. Add bread and raisin mixture, pressing gently to moisten; let stand 15 minutes. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish. Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly on top. Bake 35 minutes, or until set.
5. Prepare topping: Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Simmer on low and cook an additional 15 minutes or until golden – the mixture should be bubbling (do not stir). Remove from heat. Carefully add butter and cream cheese, stirring constantly with a whisk (the mixture will be hot and bubble vigorously). Cool slightly, and stir in whiskey and milk.
*If you prefer not to use whiskey, substitute apple juice for whiskey in the pudding. In the sauce, substitute 1 Tablespoon imitation rum extract and 3 Tablespoons water for the whiskey.
Recipe Source: Adapted from Cooking Light
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat (24%) 21
Total Fat 2.44g
Saturated Fat .32g
Dietary Fiber .74g
Net Carbohydates 14.5g
WW POINTS: 2
PRINT THIS RECIPE using your browser’s ‘print’ function. It’s automatically formatted to print recipe & picture only.
RATE THIS RECIPE[ratings]
“This one was a good one. We love bread pudding and have had several different kinds. Couldn’t believe that this one tasted so good with the lower fat ingredients!!”