Yield: Two 3x15-inch cakes
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 35 min
Lemon Dream Coffee Cake
1 cup water
8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter
1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (measure, then sift)
1. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray a rimmed baking pan (jelly roll pan) with nonstick spray or line with parchment.
2. In medium saucepan, mix water, butter, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Add flour all at once. Beat with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes.
4. Transfer dough to food processor. Add eggs one at a time, processing until egg is fully incorporated. Add lemon.
5. Divide the dough in half and form each half into a 3x15-inch rectangle (space them at least 3 inches apart). Bake 35 minutes, until puffed and golden.
6. To prepare icing: In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter, vanilla, lemon juice and almond extract over medium-low heat. Whisk in 1 cup of sugar; add remaining sugar as needed until icing reaches drizzling consistency.
7. Drizzle icing decoratively over cakes. Sprinkle with almonds and serve.