Yield: One LARGE dessert!
Prep Time: 40 min + chill time
1 quart fresh strawberries
2 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
1/4 cup brandy
4 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup brandy
1 pound mascarpone cheese
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 packages ladyfingers
1/2 cup cold espresso
3 squares semi-sweet chocolate, grated
1. Take out a 10x14-inch pan. You may even have enough ingredients to fill a small extra pan.
2. Wash, hull and thickly slice the berries and place in a low, flat dish. Pour 2 Tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup brandy over them. Let them sit and marinate.
3. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup brandy until well mixed. Add mascarone and continue to beat until smooth.
4. In separate bowl, whip egg whites until frothy and gradually add 1 cup sugar. Continue to beat until egg whites are quite stiff. Gently fold into cheese mixture.
5. Dip ladyfingers, one by one (quickly or they will get soggy), into the espresso, and place a single layer in the bottom of the pan.
6. Place a layer of strawberries over the ladyfingers.
7. Pour half of the cheese mixture over the strawberries, and sprinkle half of the grated chocolate.
8. Repeat the layering, using the rest of the ladyfingers, strawberries, cheese mixture and chocolate.
9. Chill 4-6 hours.