This Layered Strawberry Trifle recipe is super easy to make.
The flavors are great together, and it’s a super impressive dessert for spring or summer… or whenever you can find the best, juicy strawberries! Add in other berries for a berry-licious recipe! In fact, if you add fresh blueberries… it will turn into a pretty, impressive festive summer recipe for 4th of July and barbecues.
How to make a Layered Strawberry Trifle:
First you need a trifle bowl. HERE is a classic trifle bowl that you can order on Amazon. If you don’t want to purchase a trifle bowl, you can use a glass bowl of any kind. And if you don’t have a glass bowl, you can use a regular, taller bowl (the layers won’t show though).
You’ll be making a simple lemon syrup. But there’s no baking involved! You can buy a regular pound cake at your market’s bakery. You’ll cut it into slices, brush it with lemon syrup and then cut it into chunks.
You’ll also be making a sweetened whipped cream. Cream cheese, sugar and heavy whipping cream are combined to make the most delicious sweetened whipped cream ever!
Assembling the trifle:
In the trifle bowl, layer chunks of cake, then sweetened whipped cream, then fresh strawberries. Then the layers are repeated. It’s such a pretty dessert!
This is such an easy recipe to make, and everyone really loves seeing it served as dessert. It’s a delicious dessert too. I love the sweetened whipped cream. It totally connects everything together in a good way!
Here are a few more strawberry dessert recipes you might like to try:
- Strawberry Lemon Buttermilk Pie
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- Strawberry Crisp
- Rustic Strawberry Galette
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
- Strawberry Upside Down Cake
Layered Strawberry Trifle
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 20 ounces pound cake or butter loaf (Store bought is okay)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 cups fresh strawberries, trimmed and halved
PREPARE THE LEMON SYRUP:
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool.
ASSEMBLE THE TRIFLE:
- Slice the cake into 3/4-inch slices. Brush lemon syrup over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese with the sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the cream. Continue beating until the mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
- Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 quart size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spreading to the sides of the dish. Scatter half of the strawberries on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese and berries. Pile additional strawberries on top.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.
- For a lower fat version, try fat-free pound cake and reduced-fat cream cheese.
- Try substituting raspberries or blueberries for strawberries, or use a mixture of all three berries.