This Layered Strawberry Trifle recipe is super easy to make:
The flavors are great together, and it’s a super impressive dessert for spring or summer… or whenever you can find the best, juicy strawberries! Add in other berries for a berry-licious recipe!
Layered Strawberry Trifle
Prep Time:25 minutes + chilling time
Cook Time:2 minutes
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 12 ounces pound cake or butter loaf (store bought is ok)
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 cups fresh strawberries
- Prepare the lemon syrup: In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, lemon juice and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar completely. Let cool.
- Slice the cake into 3/4-inch slices. Brush lemon syrup over both sides of each cake slice. Quarter each slice.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese with the sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add the cream. Continue beating until the mixture resembles soft whipped cream.
- Arrange half of the cake pieces in the bottom of a glass serving bowl or dish (2 quart size is sufficient). Spoon half the cream-cheese mixture over the cake in dollops; spreading to the sides of the dish. Scatter half of the strawberries on top. Repeat layering with cake, cream cheese and berries. Pile additional strawberries on top.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled (about an hour). You may also refrigerate overnight.
- For a lower fat version, try fat-free pound cake and reduced-fat cream cheese.
- Try substituting raspberries or blueberries for strawberries, or use a mixture of all three berries.