Strawberry Lemon Buttermilk Pie is the perfect pie to use up your fresh, sweet strawberries. They’re glazed and used to top a delicious lemon buttermilk pie.
When I see fresh strawberries in the store for a good price, I’m always tempted to buy a bunch of them and take them home to bake up something good. My favorite things to bake with fresh strawberries are my Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler and possibly my Strawberry- Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding. But this Strawberry Lemon Buttermilk Pie might be a close second. It’s so delicious!
The filling is what makes it so wonderful. It’s a classic buttermilk custard sort of filling that has been flavored with fresh lemon. It’s sweet and wonderful.
How to make the glazed strawberries:
The strawberry topping is very easy to make. Honey and lime juice (yes, lime juice) are heated together. That mixture is added to cut strawberries in a bowl and tossed to coat them.
How to choose the best strawberries?
Buy strawberries when they’re in season (not in the winter!). Locally grown strawberries will be best. Look for bright red berries and fresh, green leaves. Strawberries are one of those fruits that do not continue to ripen after they’re picked… so what you see is what you’re going to get. Size doesn’t matter, but do look for plump berries with no signs of mold.
What’s the best kind of pie crust to use for this recipe?
I’m not opposed to using store-bought pie crust once in a while, and it’s totally fine to use it for this recipe. If you’d like to make your own favorite pie crust recipe, please do! I also really love this pie crust recipe >> Perfect Pie Crust.
Individual slices of this Strawberry Lemon Buttermilk Pie are excellent topped with whipped cream. Add sprigs of fresh mint if you wish to make them pretty.
How to make sweetened whipped cream:
Place one cup of COLD heavy whipping cream in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to whip the cream to soft peaks. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you want it to be) and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Continue whipping until the mixture becomes a little bit thicker.
How to make this pie ahead:
You can certainly make this pie the day before you wish to serve it. Just make the base of the pie, cover and keep it chilled. Add the glazed berries to the top of the pie on the day of serving.
Here are a few more pie recipes you might enjoy:
- Simple Three Berry Pie with Crumb Topping
- Paper Bag Pear Pie
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Blueberry Sour Cream Pie
- Lemon Sour Cream Pie
- Cherry Slab Pie
- Samoas Cookie Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
Strawberry Lemon Buttermilk Pie
- 9-inch pie plate
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium lemon, juiced and zested
- pinch of salt
- One 9-inch unbaked pie shell
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved
- whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
PREPARE THE FILLING:
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a large bowl until blended. Pour the filling into the pie shell and place on a baking sheet. Bake until the filling is just set, yet still a bit jiggly, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature; chill if not serving right away. (Let the chilled pie stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.)
PREPARE THE TOPPING:
- In a small pan, heat the honey with the lime juice until melted. Pour over the berries in a medium bowl and let stand at least 5 minutes. Just before serving, arrange the berries on the pie with a slotted spoon. Top individual servings with whipped cream.
- *Don't top the pie until just before serving or the filling might collapse. You could serve the berries on the side also.
Surplus of strawberries ✅
Surplus of buttermilk ✅
Surplus of lemons✅
This recipe helped me clean out my fridge! 🙃 And so very yummy 😋
i will try this Lori it sounds delicious and to me this is an “award” dessert recipe.
Oh my goodness this pie is amazing!!
This is really a great pie! A new favorite in our house!
This pie tastes so delicious and I am so happy I tried it! Thank you for this recipe!
Definitely will be making us all summer long! So good
This pie is the perfect summer dessert! That whipped cream is outstanding!