Simple Three Berry Pie with Crumb Topping is the easiest pie to make!
Plan on baking this pie in the summer when berries are ripe and inexpensive! It’s a beautiful pie to celebrate the arrival of summer. Juicy berries are baked together to create a delicious, sweet filling. It’s all topped with an easy, buttery, sweet crumb layer.
What berries are needed for this Three Berry Pie recipe?
You’ll need three kinds of berries for this pie, and you can either use fresh or frozen. I suggest you use blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. Sometimes fresh berries are offered at incredible prices, and it’s easy and affordable enough to pick up fresh berries. Frozen berries can be a cheaper alternative. Be sure to compare prices of fresh and frozen because the end result is really delicious if you use either.
About the crumbly topping:
Before baking, this Three Berry Pie is topped with a simple mixture of flour, sugar and butter. It’s just enough to sink into the berry mixture during the baking process, and create a finished look for the top of the pie.
What is quick-cooking tapioca?
Quick-cooking tapioca is the “thickener” that is used to keep the berry mixture from being a runny mess as the filling. You will find tapioca near the pudding or in the baking aisle. I like using tapioca as a thickener for fruit pie, but if you don’t want to buy it then you can substitute cornstarch in an equal amount for the tapioca. In my opinion, the tapioca makes it taste better than cornstarch will.
You can see from the photos that the tapioca really works great in thickening up the filling. Slices cut from the pie are clean, and the berry juices aren’t running all over the place. My favorite topping for this pie is vanilla ice cream. And it’s especially best when it’s warmed up a little. Enjoy!
If you’re a pie lover, you might like to try some of these recipes:
- Cherry Slab Pie
- Butterfinger Pie
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
- No Bake Nutella Pie
- Raspberry- Blueberry Pie
- Strawberry Margarita Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
Simple Three Berry Pie with Crumb Topping
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate, and crimp the edges.
- Add all of the berries to a large bowl, and sprinkle with lemon juice. Combine the sugar and tapioca. Add to the berries; toss gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes. Spoon into the pie crust.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the filling. Bake for 45 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the topping is browned. Cool on a wire rack.