Salt and Pepper Ceviche

Last night was our Gourmet Club’s monthly dinner party with a Yucatan theme. The hostess selected recipes that were all from Rick Bayless.

My assigned task was to prepare two of the appetizers. One I’ll share today: Salt and Pepper Ceviche.

I didn’t want to take any chances, so I went all-out and bought a nice, fresh, very expensive piece of halibut from a quality seafood market. Rick Bayless gives you a few options of fish choices, so you’re not stuck with halibut if it isn’t your thing (or if it’s too outrageously expensive!!)

I was a little nervous in making this one. I’m not all that big on raw fish, and I had never tried ceviche before. It’s basically a nice, firm fish cut into small chunks that marinates in lime juice. I was reassured by friends that the lime juice actually chemically *cooks* the fish, and therefore it’s not anything like raw.

The friends were right… it’s nothing like eating raw fish. The halibut soaks up the lime juice and rids it of that fishy flavor. The texture becomes that of a cooked piece of fish albeit a little more firm. Add a sprinkle of red onion, chopped avocado, cilantro, salt & pepper, and then eat it up with a fork or tortilla chip scoopers.

This uber-expensive ceviche was a big hit at the dinner party. Everyone gobbled it up and sang its praises. Thankfully, I can definitely say that it was worth the expense to see my friends eating it with pleasure!

I’ve never watched Bayless’ show but all of the recipes that we had last night were excellent. I’ll share the menu and the other appetizer that I prepared in my next post.

This recipe for ceviche can be found HERE.

34 Responses to “Salt and Pepper Ceviche”

Manggy — August 18, 2008 @ 8:50 AM

I didn’t know halibut was so expensive, especially as it’s not really my favorite fish :) But it’s good to try out new cooking techniques! Congratulations on a well-received ceviche! (Also your friends are too funny!)

Beth — August 18, 2008 @ 9:41 AM

Ive never had ceviche before. It does look lovely though. Perhaps will have to take the plunge

Jenny — August 18, 2008 @ 11:24 AM

It looks and sounds great Lori! It’s clear that your guests enjoyed it too! Never tried this technique myself though.

daphne — August 18, 2008 @ 1:53 PM

It sounds like the fish retained it’s sweet flavour. I have not heard of halibut but after reading that, I wish I can find that and try it!

Mary Ann — August 18, 2008 @ 2:25 PM

I have seen this before but never been brave enough to try it. Maybe I will, it looks like it was a hit!

Pam — August 18, 2008 @ 3:37 PM

I have never made ceviche. Yours looks fantastic! That piece of halibut looks beautiful – worth the money. Great recipe.

Leah — August 18, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

I’m DYING to see your menu, I’m a huge Rick Bayless fan!

I’ve never been big on ceviche but yours looks awesome, especially scooped up onto some good tortilla chips. Nicely done and money well spent. ;-)

Deborah — August 18, 2008 @ 4:11 PM

I’ve never actually had ceviche before. I’ve seen it done many times before, and one of these days I’m going to actually try it!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide — August 18, 2008 @ 5:04 PM

I love halibut….especially the cheeks and especially when I am eating it in Alaska.

I will have mine cooked thank you!

Kristen — August 18, 2008 @ 5:13 PM

I love that you participate in a Gourmet dinner club. I just wrote and article about getting one started for the magazine I write for. I need to heed my own advice because I think I’d love it!

Adam — August 18, 2008 @ 6:13 PM

I love how this dish requires no cooking at all. I’m in the same boat as you with trying the ceviche. Something about acid cooking a fish through… but hey it sounds like it works.

I wonder if I can get scared sushi eaters to try ceviche.

Rosie — August 18, 2008 @ 6:46 PM

I’m like Beth and haven’t tried ceviche yet. It really does lovely!!

Rosie x

Half Baked — August 18, 2008 @ 9:01 PM

That’s a beautiful pieci of fish. I love this recipe! The simple flavors really sound wonderful!

cook eat FRET — August 19, 2008 @ 3:12 AM

i’m a big fan of ceviche but have never made it… and i should!

beautiful dish…

Jan — August 19, 2008 @ 4:04 AM

I’m sure a piece of halibut like that was mega expensive, but this recipe looks fab. I’ll look forward to seeing the next one.

dobetter — August 19, 2008 @ 4:39 AM

Yum! My brother in law turned my on to ceviche. Yours looks great.

melissa — August 19, 2008 @ 5:55 AM

I’ve never had ceviche, but I am definitely a fan of raw fish, as I eat sushi with GUSTO.

Glad everyone enjoyed it!

Dawn — August 19, 2008 @ 12:53 PM

I’m so glad you liked it. It really is such a good way to eat white fish. I make this a lot, but my photos never look as good as yours. So many people think it’s raw fish, but it’s not, glad you tried this. Now I’m hungry, thanks! :-)

Maria — August 19, 2008 @ 3:52 PM

I love ceviche! Some people are afraid of it..but it is so tasty!

VeggieGirl — August 19, 2008 @ 3:58 PM

Your dinner party event sounds lovely!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — August 19, 2008 @ 4:07 PM

That looks great! I love ceviche and raw fish prepared any way. So this would certainly not have been lost on me either! So glad it was well appreciated!

Prudy — August 19, 2008 @ 6:54 PM

I don’t think you can go wrong with a Bayless recipe; I’ve never watched his show but love his books. I love ceviche. It’s like protein rich salsa to me.

newlyweds — August 19, 2008 @ 7:54 PM

I have never made ceviche myself but eaten it plenty. Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it.

Jenna

noble pig — August 20, 2008 @ 1:40 AM

Yummy, I will make this, I am a sucker for Halibut at all costs!

Cate — August 20, 2008 @ 2:58 AM

Looks like a great summertime dish. Like you, I’m always a little nervous about making a ceviche. Made one from Bobby Flay a few years back and no ill effects. :)

eliza — August 20, 2008 @ 6:00 AM

oh, you’re brave enough to make your own ceviche! i love eating raw fish, but have never made it myself before.

Chuck — August 20, 2008 @ 6:44 AM

Lori, I wish I could join your Gourmet Club, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Your dish looks amazing. I love halibut, my brother in-law goes fishing every year and catches several halibut. Which I in turn beg for some lol. Great dish Lori!

sliceofsueshe — August 20, 2008 @ 3:17 PM

that is one huge hunk of fish. i love ceviche, all different kinds. i would almost venture to say it's better than fish that's actually been "cooked". yours looks divine with the avocado & cilantro!

Nicole — August 20, 2008 @ 5:02 PM

I love ceviche!!! Yours looks great. Lime, cilantro and the red onions are ultra important in making it great. I have yet to make my own though.

Parker — August 20, 2008 @ 10:22 PM

Mmmm only ate this once while in Peru. It didn’t look as good as yours though. Maybe i will give it a second chance.

[eatingclub] vancouver || js — August 21, 2008 @ 5:55 AM

I like ceviche but haven’t tried making it at home because of fear. Great-looking ceviche! And that is really a beautiful piece of halibut.

Lori Lynn — August 21, 2008 @ 7:11 AM

Your ceviche looks very pretty and colorful. And that is one nice piece of fish!
    I’m getting a kick out of your friend’s pleasure…

Cynthia — August 26, 2008 @ 5:05 PM

I can only imagine how great-tasting this must have been.

kevin — April 25, 2009 @ 11:30 AM

For a more authentic ceviche, you should remove the avocado, add some Serrano peppers chopped very finely and mix them in as ceviche should have heat. Also you need to let it sit in the fridge for an hour at least.

you should also boil whole yams until soft and also a corn on the cob, then chill both and serve on the side sliced into large sections.

That is the traditional Peruvian way of serving ceviche. Enjoy