Favorite Halloween Recipe 2010: Candy Corn Cheesecake

Browsing the Halloween-themed magazines this year, I spotted this recipe for a candy Corn Cheesecake. I was impressed with the colors, how it was made, and it was one of those things I simply had to bake. So, here you go… my Candy Corn Cheesecake.

Crumbled Oreos are mixed with butter to make a simple cookie crust. Cheesecake batter, made special by additions of mascarpone and honey, is divided into three parts and colored with your typical candy corn colors- orange, yellow and white. The cheesecake is baked in three stages- yellow layer (then cooled slightly), then orange layer (also cooled), then white. It’s a time consuming process for sure, but it all works out in the end.

After a very long (24 hour) chilling period and careful extraction of the cheesecake from the pan, it’s topped with some whipped cream. This is a nice idea since it easily hides any imperfections on the top of the cheesecake. Topping it decoratively with candy corns makes it more festive too.

Slices of the cake turn out a pretty display of the candy corn colors. Add some spiders and it’s ready for a Halloween table :)

In the magazine, the picture of this cheesecake is absolutely unblemished and perfect- almost unrealistic. I’m not quite sure how they turned out such a photo. The recipe was fairly easy to follow, but it was indeed a complicated, time-consuming process, and GEEZ it was hella expensive. I’m wondering if the same process would work with a regular cheesecake recipe to save some cash.

Despite my minor complaints, this was a delicious, creamy cheesecake… in my opinion, absolutely worth the expense and time. It was enjoyed at one of my neighborhood’s Gourmet dinner parties recently, and the guests devoured it and showered me with compliments. That’s what I was going for- an impressive Halloween sweet that was hard to resist too.  This turns out to be my favorite Halloween recipe of 2010.

This recipe can be found here: Candy Corn Cheesecake

Other candy corn- themed recipes on the blogs:
Candy Corn Ice Cream by Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
Candy Corn Cookie Bark by RecipeGirl
Homemade Candy Corn by CakeSpy & Serious Eats
Candy Corn Macarons by Barbara Bakes
Candy Corn Cookies by RecipeGirl

35 Responses to “Favorite Halloween Recipe 2010: Candy Corn Cheesecake”

kelleyn — October 26, 2010 @ 4:17 AM

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara — October 26, 2010 @ 4:20 AM

That is so adorable, Lori! Labor-intensive, but worth it. Love the spider climbing the side!

I think they photoshop a lot of things and once, when trying to make some cookies pose the way they were in a magazine, I decided they had used glue to keep things in place!

Jessica @ How Sweet — October 26, 2010 @ 5:32 AM

What a fun cheesecake! So festive and beautiful.

peabody — October 26, 2010 @ 5:36 AM

That is super cute! I nice take on the candy corn. Wish I had a Halloween themed party to go to take this.

Paula — October 26, 2010 @ 5:57 AM

wow! that`s fantastic idea!

have a nice time!
    Paula

Barbara Bakes — October 26, 2010 @ 6:00 AM

This is definitely an impressive, fun dessert! Thanks for the link to my macs.

Jenny Flake — October 26, 2010 @ 7:02 AM

Adorable Lori! This is such a great idea and cute recipe!

maria — October 26, 2010 @ 7:05 AM

Fantastic dessert for Halloween. Thumbs up:)

Kim — October 26, 2010 @ 7:38 AM

Lori, this looks so so cool! You did an awesome job with this. It looks like it would be an easy recipe to convert to gluten-free using gluten-free oreos. Well done! Would be a fun dessert to bring on Sunday to the big Halloween Party we are going to. Now just for the motivation AND the time! ;)

My Man's Belly — October 26, 2010 @ 11:16 AM

How adorable! That’s a candy corn I would actually eat.

Lori Lange — October 26, 2010 @ 11:30 AM

@Kim, Yes! Gluten free oreos and GF flour would make this whole dessert Gluten Free!

Peggy — October 26, 2010 @ 1:49 PM

Wow! That is so adorable. I’m crazy for candy corn. It just makes me smile. I love your site.

Lauren at KeepItSwee — October 26, 2010 @ 2:29 PM

what a great idea, it looks amazing and delicious

Gordon @PimpThatFood — October 26, 2010 @ 3:21 PM

This is what will scare people on Halloween :P Great colours on this candy corn… leave the black spider for me :)

Ann L. Miller-Tobin — October 26, 2010 @ 4:07 PM

Hey Lori- great job on the cheesecake. glad all the Kudos help make up for the labor intensive baking schedule in the recipe. I would think you could use a regular cheesecake batter and the food gel colorings since this is meant more to look like candy corn than taste like candy corn. The mascarpone adds to the price tag of any cheesecake!! Sooo good and worth it but saved for special splurge occasions!!! I like the idea of the honey in there too. Did you find it overly sweet with the aaount of Honey & Sugar listed? Keep up the good work.

Lisa — October 26, 2010 @ 4:33 PM

That looks excellent! Cutting into that cheesecake and seeing those gorgeous fall colors would be such a nice surprise.

Kelly (Two Kids Cook — October 26, 2010 @ 6:55 PM

I love the look of this cake and plus, I’m sure its oh-so-tasty…I wish I was more of a baker and I’d try it. If Sophia saw it, she’d add it to our ever growing list of desserts we must make :D

Thanks for sharing it!

Katrina — October 26, 2010 @ 7:00 PM

Wow! That is impressive. Nice, Lori!

Lori Lange — October 26, 2010 @ 8:33 PM

@Ann L. Miller-Tobin, No, I didn’t think it was overly sweet. Just a rich and creamy cheesecake!

Elle — October 27, 2010 @ 6:00 AM

Oooh, I could definitely dive into that cheesecake! So pretty and festive! Wonder if you could do it with Christmas colors, too?

Judy B. - Texas — October 27, 2010 @ 6:15 AM

Just downloaded the recipe and put it in my Halloween file – very impressive. The mascarpone in my fridge will soon be used!

Mary — October 27, 2010 @ 9:15 AM

Okay, this is soooo fun! Love the color and the festiveness! So great!

Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

LilSis — October 27, 2010 @ 9:39 AM

I LOVE IT! If I had the patience, I’d make one of these for our party this weekend!

I’m a huge candy corn fan and this cheesecake is SO colorful festive; it had to be the hit of the party! :-)

LilSis — October 27, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

I had to stumble this and bookmark it to my delicious!

the urban baker — October 27, 2010 @ 10:07 AM

my 5 year old would kill for this. what a great idea. so adorable!

Jamie — October 28, 2010 @ 3:09 AM

First of all, I’m not a cheesecake fan but you stopped me at the “mascarpone and honey”…absolutely divine! And the candy corn theme is fabulous! What a great Halloween treat!

grace — October 28, 2010 @ 7:45 AM

this is awesome. and terrific. also, i’m pretty sure it’s the most fantastic cheesecake i’ve ever seen. most impressive and festive, lori!

marla — October 28, 2010 @ 9:46 AM

Lori, you out did yourself here! This is such a special & elegant Halloween treat. I am wondering what made it so expensive – I am thinking the Mascarpone and the honey. Must make it extra special though :) XO

Sues — October 28, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

You’ve done it again! This looks absolutely incredible. Now I’m SO wishing I was going to another Halloween party this year… And I’d totally make candy corn ice cream to serve with it!! :)

Lori — October 28, 2010 @ 5:44 PM

Absolutely adorable.

Lisa — October 28, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

LOVE THIS!! It’s so brilliant! I also love how you presented it for photos – that spider is placed just perfectly – ‘navigating’ this strange, creamy concoction :)

Lori Lange — October 29, 2010 @ 1:00 PM

@LilSis, Thanks~

shelly (cookies and cups) — October 31, 2010 @ 7:52 AM

This is so amazing! I don’t know if I would ever attempt it, but I sure wouldn’t mind eating a slice ;)

maris — October 31, 2010 @ 9:25 AM

This looks great…but holy sugar overload! So festive :)

Sarah, Maison Cupcak — November 2, 2010 @ 3:39 PM

I love these candy corn sweets… I so wish I knew where to buy them in the UK!