Caramel Brownies

There are times when you need a dessert, you need it now, you need it QUICK and you don’t want to fuss with a bunch of ingredients. Those are the times when I pull out a good boxed mix and mess with it a little. I grabbed a box of Ghirardelli brownie mix and some chocolate covered Dove candies recently, and combined them to make super simple, no-brainer, almost-embarrassed-to-call-this-a-recipe: Caramel Brownies

I know that there are folks out there who don’t like to bake and who are intimidated by baking and all of the ingredients and terms involved. I love to show people that baking can be fun and that you can be successful no matter what level of kitchen knowledge you possess. But THIS little brownie project– no one can mess this one up. I promise.

You just need two things. You don’t necessarily have to have these brands- just a brownie boxed mix (a good one) and some chocolate-covered caramels.

A

Follow directions on the box for the brownies- add half of the mix to the pan and then top it with the chocolate-covered caramels.

Then spread the rest of the brownie mix on top of the candy. Bake according to your box instructions (probably about 40 minutes.

Let the brownies cool and then cut.

The great thing is, people will not likely think these are boxed brownies. The chocolate melts into the brownie, making it extra- chocolatey, and the caramel dotted throughout adds the extra special, ooey-goeey, omg component.

I had a lot folks asking me for the recipe when I brought these to a recent event. I was almost embarrassed to tell them how I made them (since I rarely do a boxed mix), but I find that there are a lot of people out there who covet boxed brownie mixes.  Why Not?  Some of them are pretty darn good.  Jazz them up a little and they are that much better too :)

Do you grab a mix when you need a quick dessert once in a while?

Print Print Recipe
Save Save Recipe

Caramel Brownies

Yield: 16 to 20 brownies

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 40 min

Super, super easy jazzed up brownie mix to make a delicious caramel brownie. Nothing fancy here!

Ingredients:

1 box of your favorite brownie mix (I like the Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Brownie)
25 Dove Caramel- Milk Chocolate candies (unwrapped)- or use another chocolate covered caramel candy

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to whatever it says on your brownie mix box (325 degrees F for Ghirardelli). Spray a 9x9-inch metal pan with nonstick spray and then line with a 9x15-inch strip of parchment paper, letting it come up and over two sides. Spray the parchment with nonstick spray too.

2. In a large bowl, prepare your brownie batter as directed on the box. Spread 1/2 of the brownie batter into your prepared pan. Place the chocolate-covered caramels on top in 5 rows of 5. Spoon the remaining brownie batter on top and spread to cover.

3. Bake the brownies as directed on your brownie mix box for a 9x9-inch pan.

4. Let the brownies cool completely and then gently lift the parchment paper and brownies out of the pan and onto a cutting board. Cut into squares and serve!

Tips:

*I like to chill my brownies before I cut them- you get much cleaner cuts!

Source: RecipeGirl.com

53 Responses to “Caramel Brownies”

Kathryn — January 27, 2012 @ 3:16 AM

I love putting candy in the middle of brownies, it’s like an extra little surprise!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — January 27, 2012 @ 3:36 AM

Delish!

My mom has spent a lifetime jazzing up boxed brownie mixes and no one ever guesses she doesn’t slave away at them.

I think that adding candy and/or chocolate chips to a brownie mix, and underbaking by 5-10% of the recommended time (because dry brownies to me are awful and you can make even homemade brownies horrible) are my strategies.

Those Dove Caramels and the whole thing…FABULOUS!! :)

Becki's Whole Life — January 27, 2012 @ 3:54 AM

Yum….I like using cake mixes to jazz things up. These look wonderful and I bet the Ghirardelli mix is great.

Blog is the New Black — January 27, 2012 @ 5:06 AM

THese look perfect for a baking project on this rainy Friday!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — January 27, 2012 @ 5:22 AM

This is my kind of quick dessert! I love turning a box mix into something amazing and delicious.

Julie @ Table for Two — January 27, 2012 @ 5:53 AM

holy moly. this looks absolutely amazing. i want to make these ASAP!!!

Cookbook Queen — January 27, 2012 @ 6:02 AM

Seriously GENIUS!! I’ve made caramel filled brownies before, but they were nowhere near this easy. Love it!!!

Melissa @ Cajun Sugar Pie — January 27, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

Holy cow! Those look beyond amazing!

Amy Lea — January 27, 2012 @ 6:13 AM

These brownies look amazing…..it looks like you worked so hard on them! I can’t wait to make them and impress my friends :-) Thank you!

Jen — January 27, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

Ghiradelli is my go to box mix if I don’t feel like making from scratch. They are delicious on their own but look positively decadent with the addition of the caramel candies. Yum!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — January 27, 2012 @ 7:08 AM

Ghirardelli makes a great brownie mix. What a fantastic way to change it up.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — January 27, 2012 @ 7:13 AM

I just made these on Tuesday for a work party! Great minds think alike :)

TidyMom — January 27, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

That’s our go to brownie mix too!! I always have a few in the pantry!! going to try this next time!!

Eliana — January 27, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

Oh Lori – you outdid yourself with these beauties. They look sinfully delicious.

Windy — January 27, 2012 @ 7:37 AM

Ooh, nice! Sometimes you just need a super easy way to make something yummy. This is great. So pulling these out next time I need something quick and easy but still super tasty.

Lauren — January 27, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

I put my brownies in the fridge too!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — January 27, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

I love brownies with caramels in them! I tried to make a similar recipe this week, but I put some candy on top too. Bad idea – they got all melty and did not look pretty! This is a must better idea!

Barb — January 27, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Thanks I just drooled all over my computer

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 27, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

I usually use Rolos…but man I bet those Dove are amazing! Yum

Laura — January 27, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

I buy the Ghirardelli boxed mis at Costco all the time just for that reason. it is quicka nd easy when the kids pull the late night, last minute “oooppps I forgot to tell you.” Now I need to go home and make brownies with caramel (thank goodness I am stopping at Target on the way home!). May have to make these before I bake the giant polka dot cake. YUM!

Mary Miller / A Passionate Plate — January 27, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Looks, delicious, as usual! Thought I would share my healthy brownie post from this week: Sweet Potato Espresso Brownies… a great way to use up a VIA from Starbucks!

The Hungry Housewife — January 27, 2012 @ 6:03 PM

Ok..I am totally making these! EASY !!!!!! Pinned!

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — January 27, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Oh my but these look absolutely wonderful! Thanks for the chill tip..i will have to try that! :)

Deborah — January 28, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

Such an easy way to satisfy a craving!!

Fred @ Savorique — January 28, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

Kids would love to partake in such simple, fun cookie baking project!

Donna — January 28, 2012 @ 5:57 AM

What a wonderful idea! I can’t wait to try these.

MichelleH — January 28, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

Oh yum! I think I need to go buy those Dove chocolates right.now! I always jazz up a boxed mix by using coffee instead of water. It’s a simple switch that makes a big difference. I also undercook by a few minutes so they’re fudgy not dry.

Virtually Homemade - Liz — January 28, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

Oh my goodness…having company tonight! I cab already feel these melting in my mouth :) I’m all for using a good quality mix!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — January 28, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Oh gosh, Lori – these look SO good – so fudgy! I’m a huge advocate for jazzing up mixes – homemade desserts don’t have to be tricky or time consuming.

Tiffiny Felix — January 28, 2012 @ 4:37 PM

I make a lot of stuff from scratch because I like to, but I also use box mixes sometimes. I feel no shame about it ;)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 28, 2012 @ 9:33 PM

Oh man, I want these! Haven’t had a good brownie in so long!!! These just look wonderful and gooey and soft, ok I better stop, I’m going to short out my computer from drooling all over it!

tia the baker — January 29, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

you got such a clean cut on the edges! nice tip on chilling first.

Sheena — January 29, 2012 @ 9:45 PM

I’d have to say my favorite sweet is caramel. That being said, why did I have to see this 2 weeks after starting a a low carb diet. =/

Blair — January 30, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Great recipe as always! This is the perfect dessert when you are in a rush–sometimes we just dont have time to get all the ingredients and spend time in the kitchen. The added touch makes brownies out of the box seem like they are fresh out of the bakery!

Jessica Cesca — January 30, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

You’re my hero!

Kati — February 2, 2012 @ 6:56 AM

Yum, these look awesome! It reminds me of Christmas time when I bake boxed brownies and stick Andes mints on the top… they melt (but only if you use milk chocolate ones, for some reason) and you spread it around — yum! Have you ever tried it? (:

Sally — February 2, 2012 @ 9:20 AM

wow! these look so easy! i made something similiar around christmas time. they were chocolate chip blondies stuffed with peppermint patties, instead of chocolate caramels. i’ll have to save this recipe! :)

Lori Lange — February 2, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

I have not… but sounds great!

ma — February 2, 2012 @ 5:55 PM

Remember cut brownies with a plastic knife (even if warm) and they will cut evenly every time!

Linda K. — February 3, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

Great quick recipe! I’ve been looking for one where I didn’t have to drag out excess ingredients out of my pantry and a bunch of kitchen supplies. It’s also great for teenage girls to make on a rainy day or at a sleepover.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 6, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Wow!! The brownies look incredible!!! I love that brownie mix too – it is such a good deal!

Jaime {sophistimom} — February 6, 2012 @ 8:43 PM

Mmmm. I baked those caramel filled Dove candies into cookies before. But the brownies look even better. Thanks for the idea, Lori. :)

Jody — February 7, 2012 @ 6:55 AM

I’m gonna make these and send them to my mom for Valentine’s Day. This is a great recipe, quick and easy.

shelly (cookies and cups) — February 8, 2012 @ 4:29 AM

Those look insanely delicious!! How did I miss these?!

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen — February 15, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

My goodness, I need a pan of these right now! Total chocolate satisfaction!

life is a shoe — February 18, 2012 @ 4:51 AM

oh wow, this looks soooooooooo gooooooood!

JenMarie — February 20, 2012 @ 7:09 AM

WOw. This is incredible looking. I have done this with york patties, but never with Dove caramels. I am in awe!

Sami — February 23, 2012 @ 2:46 PM

I will try this recipe. Sounds toooo good!

Try mixing in HEATH milk chocolate toffee bits into batter (located where you find chocolate chips) and sprinkle this mixture on top of the brownies before baking. Can also add M & M’s to the top with the HEATH mixture. For less guilt, make the no pudge brownie mix and then add to it.

HEATH chocolate toffee bits are also good mixed into and on top of oatmeal cookies and ice cream. Enjoy!

Lee — February 24, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

OMG – these look amazing. My mouth is watering. I’m trying to think up a healthy variation ….. I may have to splurge on these though, or maybe I could try the same thing with my pumpkin brownies. Then again, some recipes just shouldn’t be messed with.

Michelle — February 7, 2013 @ 2:28 AM

I’m in love!

Alex — September 27, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

Love love love these!! They are perf for my friends when we hang out!

Alta — April 13, 2014 @ 8:14 AM

Have been looking for a Salted Caramel brownie recipe to spoil a favorite son-in-law. This seems to be the perfect answer, however how do I get the salted part added to it? Could I sprinkle it before baking with sea salt? Would love to have some suggestions.

Lori Lange — April 14, 2014 @ 9:25 PM

I think that would be fine!