100 Recipes Using Leftover Red Wine

If you’re a wine enthusiast, it may be difficult to believe that you would ever have any leftover wine.  I am indeed a wine enthusiast, and I found myself in the unique position of having a bunch of open red wine bottles after a dinner party last weekend.  What could I do with the wine besides drink it?!    I posed this question to my Facebook page, and I received an abundance of suggestions.  First and foremost, I learned that you can actually freeze wine to be used later (it won’t be good to drink, but it will be fine to add to recipes).  Here’s a nice tutorial on how to freeze wine- from The Art of Doing Stuff.  And here are 99 more fun ideas for using up leftover red wine (click titles to reach the recipe).

Breakfast:

Mulled Wine by Appetite for China
Red Wine Simple Syrup (for adding to cocktails) by What Julia Ate
Glogg (Swedish Hot Spiced Wine) by Leite’s Culinaria

Appetizers:
Red Wine Syrup (to drizzle over cheese) by Macheesmo
Cranberry- Red Wine Meatballs by Confections of a Foodie Bride
Marinate mushrooms in red wine, sprinkle with feta, and serve with bagel crisps for an appetizer.

Sauces and Marinades:
Red Wine- Wild Mushroom Ragu by Hunter Angler Gardener Cook
Blackberry- Cabernet Sauce with Rosemary and Ginger by Christine Cooks
Red Wine Marinade for London Broil by Sarah’s Cucina Bella
Zesty Crockpot Marinara Sauce by The Cooking Photographer
Perfect Pizza Sauce by Gimme Some Oven
Red Wine Reduction Sauce with Mushrooms and Rosemary by Flanboyant Eats
Garden Bolognese Sauce by RecipeGirl

Side Dishes:
Cabernet- Apple Slaw by Bella Eats
Red Wine Spinach by Angie’s Recipes
Red Wine Cranberry Sauce by Alexandra’s Kitchen
Potatoes, Shanterelles & Shallots in Red Wine Sauce by Herbivoracious
Stewed Kale and Tomatoes by Aggie’s Kitchen
Add a little red wine when cooking wild rice.
Use it to saute Portobello mushrooms.

Main Dishes:
Cabernet and Gorgonzola Burger Sliders by Rasa Malaysia
Red Wine Burgers by Confections of a Foodie Bride
Braised Beef with Mushrooms and Cabernet Sauce by Brown Eyed Baker
Grilled Salmon with Raspberry- Cabernet Sauce by Worth the Whisk
Slow Roasted Beef in Cabernet, Bay Leaves and Garlic by Revel and Feast
Braised Lamb Shanks in Pinot Noir by Leite’s Culinaria
Pork Medallions with Pinot Noir- Cherry Sauce by Noble Pig
Pork Chops with Fresh Blackberry- Pinot Noir Sauce by Dinners for a Year and Beyond
Pinot Noir Braised Salmon and Leeks by Phoo-D
Cabernet Braised Short Ribs with Gorgonzola by Well Fed
Lamb and Black Bean Chili in Red Wine by Forkable
Braised Chicken Legs with Olives and Tomatoes by Opera Girl Cooks
Lasagna by TasteFood
Burgundy Pork Tenderloin by Allrecipes
Red Wine and Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks by Always Order Dessert
Chanfana (Portuguese dish made with lamb and red wine) by PortugueseCooking.com
Stewed Chicken with Wine Gravy by Israeli Kitchen
Red Wine Braised Ham by No Recipes
Dark Chocolate and Red Wine Beef Stew by Not Quite Nigella
Pork belly marinated for one night with red wine and soy sauce , and just grill it!!!
Saute Butterflied porkchops in red wine- along with a little basil or thyme or rosemary.
Boil spaghetti in water for 2 minutes, then drain. In another pot, boil 4 to 5 cups of wine- Add spaghetti to the red wine and cook ’till al dente…(5-6 minutes)…in a fry pan sautee in olive oil, 2 gloves of garlic, 2 anchovies (optional) and sprinkle of chilli peppers- toss with the spaghetti and serve!

Soups:
Tomato Florentine Soup by RecipeGirl
Wild Rice and Portobello Mushroom Soup by Lisa’s Kitchen
Red Onion and Red Wine Soup by What Did You Eat
Make Beef Soup, and mix in 1 cup of red wine.
French Onion Soup by Food Nouveau

Ripe Figs in Spiced Red Wine Syrup  by Sippity Sup
Blueberry Cheesecake Cabernet Popsicles by Endless Simmer
Goat Cheese Custard + Strawberries in Red Wine Syrup by David Lebovitz
Red Wine Chocolate Truffles by Sprinkle Bakes
Red Wine Truffles with Dried Cherries by Art of Dessert
Chocolate Pots de Creme with Red Wine Poached Cherries by Delicieux
Ricotta Cheesecake with Blackberries and Pinot Noir Sauce by My Food Simply Naked
Wine Poached Pears by eCurry
Chocolate Cupcakes with Goat Cheese Frosting and Red Wine Reduction by Buttercream Blondie
Vegan Chocolate Merlot Mousse by Go Dairy Free

Other ideas:
Make Strawberry- Pinot Noir Preserves by Local Kitchen
Make Spiced Tomato Jam with Pinot Noir by Andrea’s Kitchen
Make Wine Jelly by America’s Test Kitchen
Make Red Wine Vinegar by Boulder Locavore

Also:
How to Remove Red Wine Stains by the Kitchn
7 Tips for Cooking with Wine by Stone Soup

There you go!  Let me know if I forgot anything :)

27 Responses to “100 Recipes Using Leftover Red Wine”

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — October 18, 2012 @ 3:23 AM

What a great idea for a post, I’m definitely bookmarking a ton of those recipes!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — October 18, 2012 @ 6:03 AM

I was thinking the same thing – leftover red wine? When does that ever happen? haha. I do sometimes have some and I like to put it in homemade pizza/pasta sauce!

Dana @ This Silly Girl's Life — October 18, 2012 @ 7:03 AM

I love this post! Thank you!

gina @ skinnytaste — October 18, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

Great post! I never throw my wine away : )

Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} — October 18, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

Wow this is an AMAZING round-up. As I usually don’t have any wine left over (hey I have a 2 year old and need my wine :) ) this list gives me a great excuse to open another bottle tonight!

I feel ya on the heat! It was 91 here yesterday with a fire in the hills. Not so fall-ish here in SoCal…

yellebellyboo — October 18, 2012 @ 9:23 AM

Thanks! I have so much red wine left from Rosh Hashana and I really don’t drink it – this gives me some great ideas for how to use it!

Aggie — October 18, 2012 @ 10:09 AM

I’d crack open a bottle just to make some of these! What a great list of recipes using wine! Thanks for including my kale. :)

Cheers!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — October 18, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

What a round up, Lori, wow! I wish I had this post years ago when I had soooo many half-opened bottles of wine going. Lately, more coffee than wine around here :)

Jersey Girl Cooks — October 18, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

Love, love, love this! I always have bottles left over that are suitable for cooking but wouldn’t want to drink.

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — October 18, 2012 @ 2:14 PM

Oh my goodness — what a fabulous list! I run into the leftover wine problem often with entertaining and just having little ol’ me here afterwards — am totally bookmarking this roundup! :)

Lynda - TasteFood — October 18, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Now THAT is a roundup! The hardest part will be making sure there’s wine leftover. Thanks for including me!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks — October 18, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

Thanks for the ping! Great list!

Toni | Boulder Locavore — October 18, 2012 @ 6:09 PM

In my house Lori, ‘leftover’ and ‘wine’ in a phrase would be an oxymoron! However if the occasion were to ever occur (maybe a fire would break out during dinner forcing us out of the house with the wine bottle unfinished) I love this collection of recipes you’ve amassed! Covers every course and possibility! Thanks for including my red wine vinegar too! BTW we’ve interacted in the Facebook blogger group; my name on there is CoffeeAndA BlueVespa (long story on the name but connecting the dots for you!).

• Lori Lange replied: — October 18th, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Awesome- nice to meet ya!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — October 19, 2012 @ 5:27 AM

Wow! How did you even find all of these recipes? That is a lot of reading i have to do! Have a great weekend!!

Maria in NJ — October 19, 2012 @ 5:43 AM

leftover wine!! what?

wow that is some compiled list, thank you for doing the leg work…

Cathy @ Noble Pig — October 19, 2012 @ 5:47 AM

We always have leftover red wine from the tasting room, so this list will come i handy! Thanks for including my Pork medallions recipe!

Michelle @ Taste As You Go — October 19, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

Thank for including my Merlot Cream Cheese Brownies in your round-up, Lori! Such an impressive list… Can’t wait to try some of these recipes!

Lisa Cornely — October 19, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

The red wine chocolate cake is a delicious dessert, I made it this week. Great listing of recipes, now I found about 30 new recipes to add to my bucket list.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — October 20, 2012 @ 6:51 AM

What great ideas! I love red wine, but unfortunately my husband doesn’t, so I always have it left over if I decide to open a bottle. These are wonderful – and I love the freezing idea!

Kim B — October 20, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

When making my spaghetti sauce, I add red wine to my ground meat when it’s almost done cooking, and let it simmer till absorbed. Then I add more after adding all the tomato products. Sooo rich and delicious!

• Lori Lange replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal — October 20, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

Ahh thank you for sharing my recipe for the red wine cupcakes!!

Dayna — October 21, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

Awesome ideas! Can you do the same with white wine?

• Lori Lange replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 9:44 PM

These are all ideas using red wine only! Maybe one of these days I’ll get around to creating a list for leftover white wine too!

Carlas Confections — October 22, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Love the roundup! Cant wait to make some of these recipes. This is definitely getting pinned for future use. Thanks Lori!

Julia Sforza — January 7, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

What a great idea for a post, and such a comprehensive list! Thanks for including a link to my red wine syrup recipe!